Talk

Advanced search

Some perspective needed.... please....

(22 Posts)
ManchesterMummy Wed 27-Aug-08 20:52:47

Okay, before you start on the "Pah! PFB alert", my DD is 10 months old and frankly she is my PFB!

DD has been at a massively over-subscribed nursery full-time since May. We were intially very happy, but in the last few weeks, some things are beginning to slip, especially the food they're giving. As DD is under one, we're very careful about what we give her, and the nusery blurb states that they don;t give processed food to babies. DD has been having a LOT of baked beans, spaghetti hoops, 'nuggets' (God knows) etc etc and the final straw for me was ready salted crisps. I wasn't too chuffed about the time they gave her chocolate either (cos I wanted to be the first to give her that grin) but let that go.

I'm all for treats, but we're being sooo careful about salt at home (she generally only has home-cooked stuff at home) and I thought ready salted crisps for under-ones wasn't really the best idea.

We've told them we'd prefer for her not to be given crisps again and they we were very defensive. They're being distinctly cool with us now.

I know I'm probably beind PFB about it, but we're paying rather a lot to these people.

Someone kick some sense into me! I;m driving DH mad with this!

freshayrshire Wed 27-Aug-08 21:00:37

I think that you're right to be annoyed. I wouldn't give my 13-month old DD any of those things. The health advice seems to be no salt for under-ones and pretty limited salt for over-ones. So sorry - no perspective from me!

anyadviceoutthere Wed 27-Aug-08 21:04:18

I would not be happy about giving a ten month old salted crisps. i did give my ds those orgnanic 'crisps' carrot flavoured and the like from about ten or eleven months as it seemed to help him learn to hold and chew, and I know the nursery occasionally gives these too at mid morning snack time and that was ok I felt as they often had fresh stuff too.

I would expect my views as the parent to be respected, heard and acted on. Why are they saying in their blurb that they do not give preocessed food to the babies when they obviously are? Spaghetti, nuggetts (yuk) etc is crap to be feeding a ten month old, its just not necessary!!!!

I woulkd speak to the nursery managerm be really calm and measured but express your concern and insist this issue be looked at.

ManchesterMummy Wed 27-Aug-08 21:06:26

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks this is not on...

easterbunbuns Wed 27-Aug-08 21:09:59

Firstly I would agree that they shouldn't be doing this especially when their blurb tells you otherwise. How you have raised it with them might be why they are now being cool towards you - who did you raise it with? the poor lowly paid worker who had been looking after kids all day or the manager?? IME having a go at the actual roomworkers is counterproductive - they are the ones looking after your baby and you want them on your side. they might not even have much say in what the menu is??? Also how do you know this is happening?? I have always had the view that i would rather hear the truth about what is going on than be lied to. They could lie to you at the end of each day that your PFB was being fed organic home cooked amazing meals and you'd be going home happy and none the wiser in blissful ignorance. equally is this just a blip? Is the normal chef on holiday? It isn't a great scenario but far worse things could and can happen than a baby being fed a few beans and crisps.

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 27-Aug-08 21:10:08

That's a shit diet, and I would throw their "no processed food" claims at them. I am downright lax about food for my children, but wouldn't have given salted crisps before age 1.

Speak to the manager and state your disapproval. This should back you up - print it off and give it in leaflet form, highlighted if you're feeling really particular. There is 0.4 grams of salt in 25 grams of ready salted crisps - that as part of an every day diet could send a baby well over the recommended upper limit!

easterbunbuns Wed 27-Aug-08 21:10:50

sorry meant to say - beans Ok Chicken nuggets certainly NOT!

ManchesterMummy Wed 27-Aug-08 21:15:43

easterbunbuns - we raised it with the team leader of the baby room, rather than go above her head in the first instance (in much the same way that if you had a problem at work, you'd generally go to your manager, rather than over the heads).

The nursery keeps a diary for each child that is sent home every day.

And we most certainly did not have a 'go' at anyone.

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 21:16:03

ds used to go to a nursery that fed him shit stuff like this. I got to know one of the nursery workers, it turns out their budget for the week for the whole of the nursery (80 children) was £80!!!!! shock It did explain alot.

I wouldn't allow ds to have crisps until he was 5 blush. I'd be horrified if someone fed them to him when he was this young. Some of the bitten pieces can be sharp.

greenandpleasant Wed 27-Aug-08 21:22:22

you are right to be concerned. no way should a nursery be including chocolate and crisps in the food they provide. when they'e catering for large numbers it is cheaper surely to do big cooked meals rather than getting in junk food?

and if things are "beginning to slip" that's really not acceptable. they have to be consistent in what they offer, not say one thing then have a few off days or weeks. I am amazed that they would even have choc and crisps there - just because they have to plan menus,get in ingredients, or sometimes prepared meals, to order, not just on a whim. it's not like being at home when you suddenly realise you have nothing defrosted and it's 5pm so beans on toast it is!

if they keep being defensive about this you may have to consider looking elsewhere ...?

pudding25 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:34:32

I would be horrified. I have just started looking around nurseries for my pfb for when I go back in Jan and have been told that all their meals are prepared fresh each day. I would be furious if my baby was fed that crap. I would speak to the nursery manager and write a formal complaint to be honest.

catinthehat Wed 27-Aug-08 21:41:13

Is this a chain nursery or privately owned? Are the other mums unhappy about treatment of older children? I would start investigating plan B for child care just in case, so that you have back up in place if the whole thing goes bad in a few months. Don't ignore this, it's a bad symptom, not PFBism. Cash/budget problems get out of hand very quickly and result in sharp falls in standards - OK, you can live with spag hoops every day, but wait until the good staff start clearing off and the temps start rolling in every day

ManchesterMummy Wed 27-Aug-08 21:44:44

Now this is the interesting thing. It was a private chain (IYSWIM) of 7 I think that has been bought by a much larger chain.

I've started to look at Plan B...

PortAndLemon Wed 27-Aug-08 21:47:32

If things are beginning to slip I would also be concerned that the nursery is running into financial difficulties, and wonder what else is going to get sidelined?

PortAndLemon Wed 27-Aug-08 21:49:22

Cross-posted. That would make me even more concerned. I bet large chain is cutting back on budgets and your nursery is embarrassed to admit that to you. I think you need a plan B.

aniseed Wed 27-Aug-08 21:52:33

I think you have every right to be angry. I am very fussy what my ds eats and would not want to accept him eating that sort of diet. A healthy diet leads to a healthy child and the nursery should be promoting this. I don't like my ds having anything processed and he has always had fresh food - now he chooses healthy foods over unhealthy ones. I wrote a list of all the foods my ds was allowed / not allowed at nursery, however, unsure that this was always adhered too as I don't know what goes on when I'm not there. I looked at a few nurseries and the menus of some of them were horrendous. The nursery now is lovely - menu are overly inspiring but am prepared to overlook it a little now he is older. Why can't nurseries get right? I would outline to the nursery what your views on eating are and ask for a list of what he has eaten each day.

aniseed Wed 27-Aug-08 21:53:20

sorry - not overly inspiring

catinthehat Wed 27-Aug-08 21:58:45

Oh dear, start googling the larger chain for its ultimate ownership, and then have a google for financial problems. Then run for the hills.

[Some time after your child has gone elsewhere, you will read an OFSTED report that was compiled during the time your child was there. You will faint and thank your lucky stars that your child is out of that hellhole. <true story>]

Scarfmaker Wed 27-Aug-08 22:21:05

Also, just to add that crisps are quite a big choking hazard. They are sharp for adults to swallow let alone babies!

ManchesterMummy Thu 28-Aug-08 21:48:50

Thanks everyone. I'm obviously concerned, but feel comforted that it's not just me thinking the worst!

AngelNanny Sat 30-Aug-08 22:55:16

This is absolutely disgusting. Firstly the nursery should have given you forms to fill out stating what you do not want your child to eat and no matter what it is they have to provide for this. this list should be upded regulary. As the workers are being funny about this you need to go to the manager and be pretty firm, No manager intheir right mind will accept what the workers are doing. Crisps are 100% no no in his age group. Most nurseries would only give crisps to pre - school children as a treat at a tea party or something and they are a definate choking hazard. Please speak to the nursery manager asap

anniemac Wed 03-Sep-08 13:49:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now