Talk

Advanced search

Could do with some reassurance, left DS 10 months in nursery for 20 minutes today

(5 Posts)
MarlaSinger Tue 26-Aug-08 17:09:03

and he has barely stopped crying since, though he is tired (actually he is asleep right now, thank god)

Will he really get used to it?

I am leaving him for an hour tomorrow, then two sessions of two hours next week, followed by one long day (10-3 ish) before he will be doing mon/tues/weds 9-5.

Am feeling really lousy about the whole thing to be honest.

He has been so happy and confident but lately screams when I even go to the loo or to the kitchen for a drink, and now I have to leave him with strangers for half the week.

PeaMcLean Tue 26-Aug-08 17:14:20

Yes he will get used to it. He'll learn that you do come back and that all is well. He'll also discover that he has a great time at nursery. It's really normal to worry, but really, he'll be ok.

Poor you. Give it a few more sessions. Chances are that he'll reserve his crying for you anyway. How was he there today?

MarlaSinger Tue 26-Aug-08 17:19:59

Thanks Pea.

He was okay at first, I handed him to one of the staff who we have met before and just left him for those 20 minutes to sort out paperwork. When I came back he was crying on her lap but she did say he had a bit of a crawl around first.

But after that he screamed even when I put him in the pushchair facing me while I signed a couple of forms. Then screamed while we walked to the car, etc etc.

The positive is that she (staff) didn't seem phased by it so I guess it's normal and they can handle it. But still... no substitute is it.

Ahh mother's guilt.

AngelNanny Sat 30-Aug-08 23:16:44

Most parents feel like this, i have had parents crying on my shoulder but it is 100% normal. you child will get use to it and as soon as he is doing an activity and used to the new faces will be absolutely fine. I have seen so many children that after a yr at nursery still cry when their parents leave because al children want their mummy n daddy more than anyone else and the moment their parents leave they stop crying,for children it is a big guilt ip on mummy and daddy. try not to worry this is all normal and he will be fine, the staff are use to it and if you say goodbye and leave swiftly the staff prefer it as by hanging around it prolongs it for the child.

giddykipper Sat 30-Aug-08 23:20:20

It will get better. It will take a bit of time and you will feel really guilty but in a couple of weeks he'll be loving it. DS has been going now for about 5 months and we still have the odd morning where he cries when I drop him off but it's stopped before I'm out of the door. He really loves it there, they do really interesting interactive stuff and he likes playing with the other kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now