Talk

Advanced search

Nursery fees - Term time only?

(12 Posts)
Washersaurus Mon 25-Aug-08 22:18:18

I am considering returning to work term-time only. Does anyone know if a nursery would consider calculating their fees on this basis, or would I have to pay the full year regardless?

(I think I know the answer to this already - I don't think it is worth me going back to work sad)

CarGirl Mon 25-Aug-08 22:19:21

Find a childminder? A nanny with own child who may be happy to do term time only?

Washersaurus Mon 25-Aug-08 22:26:35

Hmm would prefer nursery tbh (not wishing to offend any childminders on here though).

We probably couldn't afford a nanny even if we could find one, and DS1 is already settled and happy in nursery/pre-school 2 days per week, with DS2 also doing settle sessions there with a view to attending 1 day each week (he hates it though)

I suppose I need to take into account the nursery funding DS1 will receive in October.

CarGirl Mon 25-Aug-08 22:29:19

okay if they're already attending a nursery that's a bit different. Can you factor in that you will be paying for the nursery/pre-school fees one day per week anyway so that is a sunk cost already. Ds2 would probably settle better if he did 2 sessions per week anyway!

Washersaurus Mon 25-Aug-08 22:38:02

Well DS2 will be doing 2 mornings to start with - as he screamed through the 1 hour he did last week.

It is all so complicated to calculate! We started DS2 as DS1 will be mostly funded for his hours from October so our current outgoings won't really increase from what they were with just DS1 attending nursery. BUT if I return to work and put them into nursery full time I just can't see how it can be financially worth it.

(DH looked so relieved at the prospect of the removal of financial burden when I mentioned returning to work too sad)

ja9 Mon 25-Aug-08 22:43:16

ssome nurserries do term-time deals. it's definitely worth asking about.

Tommy Mon 25-Aug-08 22:48:58

DS3 goes to a nursery term time only - he does what they call a "school day" - 9-3. My friend's DS also does term times only at a different nursery (in same town )

It's definitely worth asking around IME

Washersaurus Mon 25-Aug-08 23:03:00

Oooh thanks for your replies; that is really encouraging.

dilemma456 Sat 06-Sep-08 09:03:55

Message withdrawn

chocolateshoes Sat 06-Sep-08 09:08:03

Our local nursery charges 50% for holidays if given notice. However the nursery attached to our local university will do term time only. So if there's a uni or FE college near you it might be worth a try.

FourArms Sat 06-Sep-08 09:18:34

DS1 went to a nursery attached to a primary school for a while. They offered term-time only, with an option to have child-care in holidays. If you didn't want it, then you didn't pay as they could fill the space with primary-age children in the kids club for the holidays. Best of both worlds IMO

Jen1978 Sun 07-Sep-08 20:21:57

I am a teacher and I work full time, my DS is 16 months and in nursery. We basically pay all year round, they would only let us go onto half rate i.e. 2.5 days a week for the summer holidays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now