Talk

Advanced search

How does your nursery communicate with you?

(9 Posts)
muminthecity Fri 22-Aug-08 09:54:30

Do you get some sort of daily report book or suchlike? Or do you just speak to the staff at pick up time? My dd is almost 3 and has been in nursery for 3 weeks now. She seems to enjoy it most of the time, although she has mentioned a few things that concern me. When I pick her up I ask the staff all the usual questions i.e. What has she been doing? What has she eaten? etc and all I have ever been told is that she is fine and has had a good day. They are usually too busy to stop and chat (as one would expect, of course.) Dd doesn't seem to remember much about her day so I don't really know what goes on. Would it be acceptable for me to request a daily report of some sort?

Mellower Fri 22-Aug-08 10:07:46

We have no daily report. Our nursery has a little book and takes photographs of DD showing us her activities.

We also write a bit about what she likes to do in this book, the books comes home around 3 times per years. Other than that I only hear what she has been doing when she has been a bit naughty.

If you need to put your mind at rest speak with her teacher.

Baggiebird Fri 22-Aug-08 10:08:50

At our nursery we get a diary for the little ones. It says what they have eaten and how much, nappy changes and bottles. It also has a section about activities and how they have been in general. It is always there to read in their baskets.
When they get to about 3 they tend to get phased out. I know the staff well so I hang around to talk to them and help out if they are busy, so I find out then what has been going on.
I think the key is to build a good relationship with your dd’s main carers which I’m sure will come with time. I think it would be perfectly acceptable to talk to the nursery manager and point out you would like more feedback.

kingfix Fri 22-Aug-08 10:10:32

We have a diary with food, sleeps, nappies and a highlight of what they've been doing. Keyworker takes a minute or so to give an general idea of how dd's been, you can book in for a longer session if you want and there are parents' evenings twice a year.

mishymoo Fri 22-Aug-08 10:13:25

At our nursery, we speak to one of the staff in my DS room and they tell us what he has been doing that day, i.e. painting, drawing, sticking, etc. Also, what he's eaten, if he's been good or naughty, etc. This happens everyday at pick-up time!

muminthecity Fri 22-Aug-08 10:19:45

Thanks for your replies, I will definitely speak to the manager on Tuesday. I was told to speak to dd's keyworker if I had any concerns, dd and I have never met her keyworker as she has been on annual leave since dd started. Oh well, the manager will do!

katiechops Fri 22-Aug-08 10:27:55

We get a little book with details of what activities DD (22 months) has been up to at nursery that goes in her bag at the end of the day. Also gives details of nappy changes, naps, if she did or didn't eat well. If she has been naughty or has had a run in with one of the other kids they tend to tell me rather than putting it in the book. I always have a quick chat with the staff when I pick her up as it's nice to have a bit more detail about what she's particularly enjoyed.

hattyyellow Fri 22-Aug-08 10:56:29

I have books for each of my twins (3) in which it says what activities they have been doing that day, how well they ate at lunchtime etc. The nursery has been great at communicating, possibly because it's quite small so it's easy for them to chat for a few minutes about what DD's have particulary enjoyed that day, whilst still keeping an eye on the other children.

The books are a great idea as if I'm in a hurry I can still read thrrough them later that day - could your nursery maybe do the same?

cmotdibbler Fri 22-Aug-08 21:11:12

DS is 2 and they fill out a book each day with activities, food, sleep and toilet accidents, and go through it at pickup time. Anything particular they'll talk about

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now