Talk

Advanced search

Holidays

(20 Posts)
aidansyummymummy Mon 18-Aug-08 22:27:34

Just trying to find out if anyone elses nursery has a limit on how much holiday child can take whise at nursery.

My nursery charges 50% fees with 4 weeks notice. They have said today its a max of 4 weeks per year. Well i receive more annual leave than that!

Just wondering what other nurseries do.

snickersnack Mon 18-Aug-08 22:29:18

dd's nursery closes for 4 weeks a year - over Christmas, Easter and for 2 weeks in the summer. We pay for those weeks - the fees don't change in the months there are holidays. You sound quite lucky - I didn't realise anyone gave a discount! I assume you can still take more than that if you wanted to - just that you still have to pay?

spudballoo Mon 18-Aug-08 22:30:44

Very lucky! I've never come across that before. our nursery shuts x2 weeks over the summer and x2 weeks at Christmas. Any time you take your child out of nursery, apart from the planned closure weeks, is at YOUR expense. ouch!

catweazle Mon 18-Aug-08 22:36:17

We pay for 51 weeks a year envy

aidansyummymummy Mon 18-Aug-08 22:47:03

Really...crikey!!! Thought other nurseries would operate in similar way. We still pay full fees for sickness etc (which is annoying as so far its things he has caught a nursery..!)

They do close a xmas for a quite a long time which is when it is difficult for me to get time off! Hoping a friend can help out then.

The holidays discussion only came about as they had got the fees wrong again for direct debit.....been 4 mths and so far not one correct month.

LRB978 Mon 18-Aug-08 23:05:53

HTH

The daycare I am a Director of is open from 2nd Jan until around the 20th December each year (excluding bank hols), not charging for the time we are shut (and equally we dont charge if the day care has to shut for any reason e.g. heating failure). Children who attend 51(ish) weeks a year (some are term time only - we are from birth to 11) get 2 weeks (pro rata) a year free holiday, 4 weeks notice needed. This can be taken in any chunks, so a 2 week block, 2 x 1 weeks or even individual days, as needed, as long as the 4 weeks notice is given. For parents who choose to pay by Standing Order, we work out the cost over the year and devide by 12 or 52 so each payment is the same, but lower than a normal months/weeks charge, IYSWIM. Days missed for sickness are charged for, as staffing levels, meals etc, have already been allocated/ordered and charged for.

Evelynsmum Tue 19-Aug-08 14:53:14

We pay 52 weeks a year...no deductions for sickness, holidays or Bank holidays. To be fair they are clear that this is how it works from the start and they don't close at a difficult time or over holidays so if you have to work they are there.

cmotdibbler Tue 19-Aug-08 14:57:35

We pay for 51 weeks a year - no deductions, but they are closed between Christmas and New Year.

It varies what they do, but as long as you know, its not a problem IMO

bozza Tue 19-Aug-08 15:01:48

Ours was shut for a week at Christmas and we could take up to 3 weeks holiday at half price and, of course, I got more holiday than that. I don't think you will get a better deal than you have TBH.

Sidge Tue 19-Aug-08 15:07:15

Ours closes for bank holidays, and 5 training days a year. We aren't charged for those days.

We can also take up to 2 weeks a year at 50% reduction if we wish to take the child out of nursery for holidays, but any other holiday taken (or child's absence) is at full fees.

Goober Tue 19-Aug-08 15:12:02

SIDGE:

Sorry to hijack this thread. Did MaureenM'love find you? She was looking for you over the weekend.

bundle Tue 19-Aug-08 15:13:24

they let you not pay and keep the place open for you? how do they make money??

do you get paid for your holidays?

Sidge Tue 19-Aug-08 15:16:26

GOOBER - I'm not home, I'm Down Under!!

I was wondering if she had got what I sent smile

Goober Tue 19-Aug-08 15:19:30

Sorry, it's me again.
She openned up a thread for you, to say a big thankyou on behalf of her DD, who was thrilled and went straight off to the shops! I can't find the thread now, but I'll try to link this to her if I see her later.
Have a good holiday.

Sidge Tue 19-Aug-08 15:22:27

Sorry for the hijack - but thanks Goober I'll try and find it.

I'm visiting my dad, you may remember he's poorly?

I was sorry to read about your mum sad

nurseryvoice Tue 19-Aug-08 18:49:56

I charge for 51 weeks we are open.
full pay for any time off due to sickness or holidays.
Parents often amaze me and do not understand that just because their child not at nursery they have to pay.
Staff still need wages, shall we send them home without pay,? then they will look for another job.
overheads still need paying rent rates insurance food heating equipment
national insurance tax accountants phone gas etc etc
we get teachers who do not want to pay for the 6 week holidays?? again do they think we can fill a space for 6 weeks in order to pay for wages etc??
sorry for rant but everyone else gets paid all year why shouldnt nursery nurses.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 19-Aug-08 18:51:34

DD's nursery charges for 48 weeks plus we are allowed one week free for holidays, any other time off we pay for

aidansyummymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 19:20:11

Hi Are they any of these left. My best friend could do with one or two for a day out!

aidansyummymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 19:21:16

Thanks for the replies everyone looks like we have a very good deal

aidansyummymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 19:22:11

By the way ignore one of the posts. Somehow it posted something I wrote yesterday!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now