Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever heard of a nursery getting an OFSTED label - Just been told by a parent of a child from a different nursery that the nursery that my dc attend has been given a Notice to Improve - and the nursery haven't told me or any other parent!

(5 Posts)
hotmama Fri 08-Aug-08 13:38:11

I have some dealings with schools' and am aware that they get verbal feedback at the end of an inspection.

I asked the Nursery Manager at my dc's Nursery what was the outcome of the recent inspection and she said she didn't know. The report is now on the OFSTED website which gives a Notice to Improve.

There have been major changes in the Nursery under the new manager who is sorting out the mess left by the previous manager - she is making headway - and the dc's are generally happy - although I do have some concerns - as do a lot of.

However, isn't it piss poor that parents don't know the outcome of the OFSTED report or know what the Action Plan is for the Nursery.

The Nursery costs a little more that other neighbouring Nurseries - supposed to be paying for "better care".

Anytime now, will be getting a schedule of increased charges from September - this is going to be an interesting read!

Any advice or views etc.

(Long story why I can't do emoticons!)

hotmama Fri 08-Aug-08 13:56:27

meant to say "as do a lot of parents"

Dannat Fri 08-Aug-08 14:02:31

I don't think nurseries are allowed to tell parents the verdict of inspections until the report is published. I could be worng, but IME, whenever we have been Ofsteded we have been told to keep quiet unti such times as the report is available.

If there are areas that need to be improved, that could well be because of the mess left by the previous owner/manager and not anything really to do with the new person. If this is the case, it is unfair for him/her to be taking the flak for it if he/she is actively trying to turn things around.

Have you checked with the nursery that you are able to see their operational plan? I'm not sure if they have to show it to parents who request to see it, but our nursery will give parents to access if requested. Might be worth checking out? It generally tends to say on the report what actions need to be taken to rectify the matter.

Are the points raised within the report relating to the care of the children or to the operation of the nursery?

hotmama Fri 08-Aug-08 15:05:18

Spoke to the Nursery manager and she said they only found out yesterday that the report was on - apparently the Nursery Owner is furious and is liaising with solicitors because some of the report is blatantly wrong!

TBH - I think the nursery under the new manager is fine it just is taking time to turn it around - but some parents won't be so forgiving.

Apparently, the Nursery manager is going to ring all parents on Monday.

Dannat Fri 08-Aug-08 15:17:09

Yes, you don't know the report is "out there" until you see it online, probably doing some random search!

For the nursery manager to be ringing all the parents on Monday, I think that is a nice touch and should hopefull calm those less forgiving parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now