Talk

Advanced search

DD1 refusing to eat at nursery

(9 Posts)
Nemoandthefishes Wed 06-Aug-08 14:40:00

she is 2.7yrs and always been difficult to get her to eat and we are just making headway at home. Have passed on some of our tips but she is blatantly refusing to eat anything while in nursery. Luckily she only goes for 2 mornings a week but apparently today she threw a major tantrum and ended up throwing herself off the chair and banging her head.

Nemoandthefishes Wed 06-Aug-08 16:39:09

bump

Lazycow Wed 06-Aug-08 16:43:11

As it is only two mornings a week I would suggest that the nursery make no attempt whatsoever to make her eat. I would just feed her when she gets home.

If you are making headway at home I would continue to work on that and not worry about the nursery feeding.

giddykipper Wed 06-Aug-08 16:47:33

You may find that she starts to copy the other kids - that's what happened with DS. He refused to be spoon fed, so it was all finger food at home, but after a few days he happily let them feed him. He's now moved up a room and has started to copy the bigger kids so that he now feed himself with a spoon. Peer pressure at 15 months! I would definitely say though that they shouldn't try to force it - leave the food for her, if she doesn't eat any then she isn't going to starve.

TheOldestCat Wed 06-Aug-08 16:50:36

Agree with Lazycow - as it's just two mornings, I wouldn't pressure her. I bet she does end up copying the older children, like giddykipper says. This happened with DD when she moved rooms.

Poor you, though - must be worrying. Has she been at nursery long? Perhaps things will improve with time.

Nemoandthefishes Wed 06-Aug-08 20:27:24

she was in another nursery where she used to take a packed lunch but even then was never that keen. Now in this new nursery they feed her lunch but found out they feed them around 11.30am where dd1 at home usually wont eat until 12.30-1ish

mummyplonk Wed 06-Aug-08 20:36:07

Agree with lazycow, ds goes 2 mornings a week 3yrs old, sometimes they surprise me with the things he has eaten, but regularly it's nothing at all from 9am to 1pm, so I feed him when he gets home, but make sure it is only apples etc so he knows it's not a treat. Stick in there and u might find she will go with flow if she's hungry but try not to worry.

TheOldestCat Wed 06-Aug-08 20:53:38

Nemo - does she have a good breakfast? DD loves her cereal and toast - so much that she's often not that hungry at lunchtime.

Sounds like the earlier lunch could be the problem - could you make her breakfast a bit earlier on nursery days?

Nemoandthefishes Wed 06-Aug-08 20:57:10

she has breakfast around 7am,then both dds go into nursery for 8-8.30am where there is usually more breakfast waiting of toast and cereal but am unsure if she eats this..then they have the lunch at around 11.30am. DD2 eats all of everything put in front of her but then she does that at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now