Talk

Advanced search

changing nursery - advice needed please

(6 Posts)
micegg Mon 04-Aug-08 14:48:32

I have 2 DCS. DD has been at her current nursery for 2 days a week since 8 months. She is now nearly 3. She is very happy there and has lots of friends etc. I am on maternity leave and still receiving full pay so we have kept DD at her nursery for 2 half days a week. My dilemma is if I return to work (PT) and send both DCs to current nursery I will be earning nothing once childcare is deducted for 18 months until DD goes to school.I am therefore considering giving up work and have been looking at pre school places attached to local primary school for DD to attend. She will be eligible from Jan 2009. My favoured school (school A) won't have a place for DD until Sep 2009 for nursery But my less favoured school (school B) has a nursery place in Jan 2009. Would you:

1. Keep DD at current nursery until Sep 2009 when school A is available (would be very tight financially for us)

2. Take DD out of current nursery in December and put her in nursery in school B for Jan (even though I would hopefully move her to school A for reception in 2010 so would be a move in Jan and then another 21 months later)

3. Take DD out of current nursery and move her to a much cheaper playgroup near by until she starts school (hopefully school A).

I am worried about the effect of moving her at aged 3 and then again just before school. There is no guarantee of a reception place of you take a nursery place any way. Have any of you had to move your DCs and how did it go?

Thanks

Sorry for being so long

LIZS Mon 04-Aug-08 14:50:39

have you taken into account the 12.5 hours you are entitled to under the LEA nursery grant when she has turned 3 ?

micegg Mon 04-Aug-08 14:57:51

Yes. Apparently my nursery only gives you it pro rata. So 2 days worth equals 5 hours a week. Our nursery is so expensive it makes very little difference to the price. Just wish I didnt love it so much!

LIZS Mon 04-Aug-08 14:59:34

if she is there am and pm it should be up to 2 sessions per day hmm Also it is beign increased to 15 hours pwk at some point.

micegg Mon 04-Aug-08 15:05:53

Really? Thanks I will ask about this. Wonder when it increases to 15. I will look into this.

micegg Mon 04-Aug-08 15:09:44

Found the answer. It 2010 and she will be in reception then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now