Talk

Advanced search

Nurseries in Greenwich - is there a shortage or what?

(6 Posts)
newbiemumzee Fri 25-Jul-08 13:27:25

Having a bit of a panic as due to go back to work at end of the year and finding there aren't really many nurseries in the area and those that are e.g. Teddies have massively long waiting lists. Should I give up and start looking at childminders instead?

gladders Wed 30-Jul-08 13:13:39

yes - we used to be in west greenwich and i gave up in the end and got a fab nanny....

teddies do always seem to have massive lists but if you keep phoning, you usually manage to get a place?

robert owen usually pretty available if you're in catchment?

otherwise it's eltham/lewisham/lee/canary wharf for nurseries...

firsttimer08 Fri 01-Aug-08 14:23:01

i put down my baby when 2 months pregnant at Teddies and still we won't get a space until he's almost a year old. My plan of action is also to keep calling.

I've also found that childminders are harder to find in Greenwich as well - most are in Eltham, blackheath, charlton area.

I am also looking into options on nanny shares from March 2009 - do let me know if you are interested.

Twinkie1 Fri 01-Aug-08 14:24:45

Do not use the one on Southwood Road (New Eltham but Greenwich Borough) - they are truely awful - DS hated it and they were so unorganised and not at all helpful when it came to settling him - I moved him pretty sharpish!

firsttimer08 Fri 01-Aug-08 14:33:43

phew ! The one i'm waitlisted for is on trafalgar road in Greenwich.They seemed pretty good and have a good Ofsted report.

I visited a nursery in the City and it was quite disappointing and made me appreciate Teddies a bit more.

newbiemumzee Fri 01-Aug-08 23:52:42

Blimey! I sooo wished I'd knew how bad it was for nurseries around here while I was pregnant now, it is ridiculous. dd is already on the waiting list for nursery around the corner in Deptford but doesn't look like we'll get in, hence looking at other options now.
I've started looking over in Docklands, though I work in town (Westminister): had a look at Mudchute Farm Nursery though they prefer it if you live round there or work at Canary Wharf, they didn't have a great deal of time for me which was offputting so obviously no shortage of parents for them! Also it's not that convenient to get to for pick up/drop off so probably a no-go but getting desperate.
Going to see Lanterns next week, and then start looking at childminders so keeping options open. How much do nannies cost? I haven't a clue, so need to see if we can afford it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now