Talk

Advanced search

My DS keeps getting bitten

(4 Posts)
fruitstick Thu 17-Jul-08 22:46:23

My DS has been bitten twice at nursery this week, both times leaving a mark on his arm.

The nursery seem to follow all the right procedures and DS tells me that he was comforted whilst the child was told off.

Is this something I'm supposed to be worried about or does it happen to all toddlers? I'm not sure what I expect the staff to do but I feel I should be happy about it!

cmotdibbler Fri 18-Jul-08 11:52:57

It happens unfortunatly. If the biter was persistent, the staff might shadow them or monitor hot spots, but really they just have to get over the phase of biting. Mine did it for about 2 months blush

mishymoo Fri 18-Jul-08 11:59:10

Unless it's consistent and the same child doing it, there isn't much you can do. Toddlers do this all the time.

My DS was bitten a few times by the same child over a period of a couple of weeks. I eventually threatened to lodge a complaint when I heard the parents weren't concerned and said it was the nursery's problem hmm. Needless to say that particular child was watched like a hawk and it never happened again.

GroovyRach Sun 20-Jul-08 15:14:11

I worked in a nursey for almost 4 years and spent most of the time working with toddlers aged 2 - 3 years. Biting is most common in children this age and i can assure you when it happened in my room (i was suppervisor) it was taking very seriously. child who was bit was comforted and child who had bit was taken away and spoken to about it. accident and inccident forms were filled out for both parents with 1 copy going home with them and 1 copy kept on file. parents were spoken to at the end of the night. most of the time, parents did understand that it was just 'one of these things' and most of the time it can just be a one off.

we did have a child though who seemed to bite rather alot. he struggled with his speech and would bite when he was frustrated. His parents were very concerened but it seemed to pass after a few months.

hope this maybe helps a little!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now