Talk

Advanced search

Any good nurseries in Highgate/Muswell Hill/Crouch End

(27 Posts)
Boompi Fri 04-Feb-05 11:52:49

Hi - planning ahead but I know there are waiting lists at nurseries for under twos! Can anyone recommend a nursery in these areas for a 9mo? Or even let me know any bad experinces?
Thanks

suzywong Fri 04-Feb-05 12:03:10

people used to say that Chameleon (sp) down Dartmouth Park Hill was good

Don't know first hand though

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Fri 04-Feb-05 12:07:09

Greygates on Muswell Hill Road is very good. My friend's daughter is there and is full of praise

bakedpotato Fri 04-Feb-05 12:14:24

we went to look around chameleon and were quite taken with it: clean, newish, organised, nice building, excursions to waterlow park, jolly children etc. we didn't go for a nursery in the end, but wouldn't have had a problem with chameleon (it ain't cheap though and it costs to even go on the waiting list)

suzywong Fri 04-Feb-05 12:15:46

bakedpotato, do we know each other?

I lived off Cromwell Avenue for 10 years?

suzywong Sun 06-Feb-05 12:17:31

It's gone very quiet on here
Maybe you do know me then, LOL . Honestly I don't swear at the traffic anymore, now that I've got my medictaion

bakedpotato Sun 06-Feb-05 12:36:30

suzy wong, perhaps you need to revise your medication as we had a chat about this and the works in waterlow park (still ongoing... a new contractor has just begun 'work', ie putting up a few signs and tarps and going off for a cuppa) a few weeks ago. i live further down h'gate hill. less salubrious than the cromwells.
local news: the fancy-pants garden shop on highgate highstreet has closed, we're getting an oxfam bookshop instead which will be much more useful.

suzywong Sun 06-Feb-05 12:48:03

oh
sorry

oxfam bookshop, good, that'll P off that miserable witch in the Highgate Bookshop then. HA!

bakedpotato Sun 06-Feb-05 12:51:06

you're so right, she is evil, not as evil as the woman in the kiddy boutique though.

suzywong Sun 06-Feb-05 13:04:14

god she was a cow, never made eyecontact

I never went in notsobig

is the closeted misery who runs the chocolate shop still there?

I like Phyllis the butcher and her son who looks like mark lamarr

( I am presuming Western Australia is beyond the reaches of English libel laws)

bakedpotato Sun 06-Feb-05 14:01:43

closeted misery! yes, he's still there, in a perpetual strop. and phyllis/mark L, with their cleavers.
maybe i've dreamed it but i'm sure someone told me that George Michael's sister runs a shop on the high st.

suzywong Sun 06-Feb-05 22:52:30

she does, she runs that outlandishly expensive perfumed candle and windchime shop just round the corner from the flower stall at the top. The one that's painted white.

I am so delighted Europa has gone, they had to be the most surly bunch of miseries in the whole high street which is saying something

And what about bottle and basket? That has to be a front for something else .......... <sighs and dabs nostalgia away from misty eyes>

bakedpotato Mon 07-Feb-05 12:59:49

OH! the perfumed windchime shop has gone. i did once go in there, pick something up, ask for the price, and then leave immediately in a very flustered state. didn't notice GM lookylikey behind till though.
tesco metro is cleaning up. it's ruining the Village Stores. Closeted Misery was actually celebrating this when i was last in there picking up birthday cards. he was moaning on, saying his mum always used to get fleeced in there, and how good it is to have a bit of competition.

lisac Mon 07-Feb-05 13:05:52

The fancy-pants garden shop has moved to the old shoe shop (next to the curtain shop). I agree she is a complete witch in the bookshop and hates children!

I don't know too much about local nurseries, but there is another one on Church Road which is supposed to be quite good (just down from the clinic).

bakedpotato Mon 07-Feb-05 13:09:35

lisac, whereabouts are YOU?
shame about spice shoes really. not that they ever had the right things in my size or anything useful like that.

suzywong Mon 07-Feb-05 13:11:42

no, never had my size in spice shoes either

See, told you he's very close to his mother

Hi lisac, do I know you?

lisac Mon 07-Feb-05 13:15:18

DH bought a few nice pairs from there - it certainly beats trekking round real shops. I'm down off Highgate Hill - Cholmeley Park/Cresc.

suzywong Mon 07-Feb-05 13:16:40

Ooohhhh

How old are your kids? I may know you. Don't worry I can't stalk you as I now live on the other side of the world

lisac Mon 07-Feb-05 13:17:01

no, suzywong, I don't think you do know me! I've been a MN member for a few years, but rarely have the time (or inclination) to post.

lisac Mon 07-Feb-05 13:19:13

They are 3 and a half and 21 months.

suzywong Mon 07-Feb-05 13:21:42

Hmmm, three and a half, may have had make my ds1 wait his turn while yours was on the blue swing in Waterlow park a couple of times, mine are 3.9 and 17mo, we moved to Australia 6 months ago after 10 years in Cromwell Avenue

bakedpotato Mon 07-Feb-05 13:25:42

rub our faces in it why don't you SW. my how you must miss baked avocado at the cafe at lauderdale house (has anyone eaten baked avocado? i can't imagine it would be nice.)

suzywong Mon 07-Feb-05 13:29:06

PMSL!!!!!

and they want about seven quid for it aswell!!!!!!!

I always thought Lauderdale house cafe was over priced and have been know to take my own ice lollies in a cool bag with ice from home, thank the lord they got rid of those awful awful school chairs inthe summer though, they were shocking

lisac Mon 07-Feb-05 13:30:17

they certainly prefer the blue swing! Where in Oz are you?

suzywong Mon 07-Feb-05 13:32:10

I'm in Perth in Western Australia.
That proves you don't know me then lisac because I bored everyone I knew rigid with stuff about Perth for months before we left

God the fights he used to get in to over that blue swing

I miss nipping out to the Old Crown for a quick half there are hardly any pubs here in the suburbs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now