Talk

Advanced search

OK - beat me now - I have said something v stupid........

(15 Posts)
BitTiredNow Fri 11-Jul-08 17:41:48

Dropped off dc3 (15 months)in nursery yesterday to find they had combined rooms to make up staff numbers and she was in a group of 3 children which included a 3 yo who is well known as a biter and several of the children there (including my other 2 dcs) have scars to prove it. Now I know noone makes their child a biter, and my dc2 was one himself, but for some unknown reason I said (trying to be funny, I guess) in a jokey voice to the child ' now don't you bite dd, or I might have to bite you back'... yes I know, how stupid, was reported to the manager who reported me to her manager and if I eer do anything wrong again I will lose my child care.... go on, slap me now......

sarah293 Fri 11-Jul-08 17:42:49

Message withdrawn

BitTiredNow Fri 11-Jul-08 17:45:31

really? I was expecting a public flagellation by you all!!!!

sarah293 Fri 11-Jul-08 17:47:21

Message withdrawn

Turniphead1 Fri 11-Jul-08 17:58:51

Presume the biter is "known" to you because your older two were old enough to i.d. him? Our nursery always has a policy of not telling you has bitten your child (but obv. only works up to the point your child can't speak and then they tell you who it was...)

To be honest, I can see why you were reported - but don't think you are a bad person ! These things just come out. But if the roles were reveresed and a parent had told your child she would bite him if he bit, you'd probably be fairly annoyed. I don't think the nursery were being overly PC. A child of that age will not have appreciated the "irony" to what you were saying. And what you said kind of goes against the "no biting" policy lol...

BitTiredNow Fri 11-Jul-08 18:17:39

we live in a small community where I have seen the child bite not only my children but others, not always in a nursery setting. Riven, I think we are cut from the same cloth - sometimes I speak before I think of the consequences. Still - I can take the criticism - wouldn't have posted if i couldn't. As to the question, would I have minded if someone else had said that, tbh, when ds2 was going through it, I apprecriated anyone else telling him it was out of order, and if I knew it was someone like me, I probably wouldn't have worried - maybe that exposes more of my character flaws than anything else.

ronshar Fri 11-Jul-08 18:20:47

I would have said something very similar.smile.
If the child in question is a prolific biter were the nursery as quick to deal with the child and its parents?

Janni Fri 11-Jul-08 18:31:18

Sounds like a desperate mother to me! Can't believe you were reported. Doesn't anyone have a sense of humour these days?

mazzystar Fri 11-Jul-08 18:34:14

well it wasn't a brilliant idea
but i would have thought a stern look from the carer would have been sufficient

gagarin Fri 11-Jul-08 18:36:07

Of course they had to say something! What if he's gone home and said "a lady said she'll hurt me".

And the parents came racing in with panic only to be told "oh - it was a joke so we ignored it".

I am just as clumsy as you btw - so feel your pain grin

FairyMum Fri 11-Jul-08 18:37:20

Who reported you? The mother of the biter?
Yes, it was a silly thing thing to say and you already know that, but I think over-reaction (assuming it was the first time you threatened a child in the villagewink)

I am forever saying the wrong thing. Wish you could "preview" in RL.

gagarin Fri 11-Jul-08 19:20:42

sounds like it was the staff - they have a procedure to follow

GreenElizabeth Fri 11-Jul-08 19:25:58

Could they not tell it was a bad joke?! OK I aint gonna award you the perrier award...... but if I'd been there I wouldn't have thought you were actually going to do any biting.

Over reaction on their part!

If it makes you feel any better, I kept bumping int o the same woman over and over again in town, and I said to her "stop following me or I'm going to take out an injunction against you" . I don't know what posessed me. It could have been funny if somebody else had said it. But she just looked at me like I was reallly quite odd. Felt a muppet. Get a cringy shiver when I think about it. HOpe she's not reading this.

juneybean Sat 12-Jul-08 02:02:06

Haha I'd have just laughed if I was the NN blush

BitTiredNow Sat 12-Jul-08 20:39:18

thanks for the support - no, it wasn't the mother who reported me, but the carer. Yes, I will try to think before I speak in the future.... guess that's me on my best behaviour from now on - best go and buy lots of apples for monday......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now