Talk

Advanced search

What would you think of a baby being put outside in the rain for a sleep ?

(13 Posts)
lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 13:00:22

DD1 goes to said nursery and has done from 6mth old.
She loves it and is now in preschool.
DD2 should be going when my mat leave ends in Oct-Jan not sure yet.
However today when i dropped dd off there were two babies in a double pushchair outside.
The baby at the back was asleep but the one in front was making a lot of noise.
They had blankets on and a raincover and they were outside the window of the room they were supposed to be in with the windows open.
However whilst i waited for someone to open the door no one came to see them and i had to inform the member of staff who answered the door.
I am now thinking that
a should dd be going here ?
b is it me or is leaving babies outside with no staff wrong ?

nappyaddict Fri 11-Jul-08 15:56:03

If they were outside in a secure area then no i think that's ok. Perhaps they had taken them for a walk and they didn't want to wake them by getting them out of the pushchair. If they were outside their pushchair where any member of the public could get to them then yes that needs reporting.

Lazylou Fri 11-Jul-08 15:58:52

Agree with nappyaddict. Quite often when we have taken babies on outings and they have fallen asleep, we have left them outside in view, secured for them to continue with their sleep so as not to disturb them. If this was the case with either of my 2 DCs, I wouldn't mind.

TotalChaos Fri 11-Jul-08 15:59:00

I wouldn't be happy with that, even if they were in a secure area.

mazzystar Fri 11-Jul-08 15:59:24

outside in secured area, within sigh/earshot, is fine imo
wouldn't be happy with them outside in rain if only under plastic raincover - our nursery has outdoor roofed area [like a slightly posh carport] for this purpose

lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 16:02:15

Was 9am so not sure they would have been for walk. I think they push them round playground to get them to sleep.
Not covered area but it's fenced off playground which can be accessed by anyone coming to nursery through gate.

nappyaddict Fri 11-Jul-08 16:04:00

To get into the playground do you have to ring a bell/speak to a member of staff through a buzzer thing or anything. or can anyone literally just walk in?

lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 16:06:51

no it's all fenced into two seperate playgrounds with a walkway down the middle to the door but there is a small gate to access either playground off this walkway , not sure how they are locked though presume they must be secure to stop lo's getting out.

Nemoandthefishes Fri 11-Jul-08 16:07:18

mmm I wouldnt be happy at all especially if one was awake and nobody had gone to see to them!!
I just changed the dds nursery because their old one did stuff like that and the new one is so much better.

lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 16:10:52

I feel quite sad actually as the baby room was one of the main reasons we chose this nursery.
But the staff have changed now and this has put doubts in my mind about dd2 but dd1 loves it!

nappyaddict Fri 11-Jul-08 16:12:30

oh right so you could see the children in the pushchair but you couldn't actually get to them??

i too would be concerned they hadn't noticed that one had woken up but perhaps he/she had only just woken up?

more Fri 11-Jul-08 16:12:49

You should get their side of the story first. Maybe the nursery have specific instructions from the children's parents that these two have to sleep/try to sleep in that pram outside at specific times (or whatever reason). It is very common practice in a lot of countries to let children sleep in the pram outside whether it is raining, snowing or sunny.

lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 16:17:22

True more maybe i could just say that i prefer dd to sleep indoors unless they going for walk.
I know what you mean sometimes you don't have enough hands to answer all babies needs at once i used to work in baby room at nursery.
Just seemed odd to have them sleeping outside in rain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now