Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please miss, what is circle time?

(10 Posts)
LittleMyDancing Wed 09-Jul-08 20:01:21

DS has come home from nursery talking about circle time. I don't know what this is, and as he's only 2 all I can get out of him is that you have to listen, and keep lips closed hmm

Can anyone give a slightly more detailed explanation?

WilfSell Wed 09-Jul-08 20:04:37

It is usually when the nursery nurses sit them down and do weather, day, who has news, planning for the day etc. It's to get them into the idea of paying attention in a group. The staff also use this time between snack time and activities to keep them occupied while others get stuff ready etc...

LittleMyDancing Wed 09-Jul-08 20:08:44

ah, now I understand. thank you!

merryandmad Wed 09-Jul-08 20:09:11

Circle time- they all sit round in a circle obv- usually at start of session. When my dd1 was in the age 2-3 room at nursery they sang a little song to say "maddies here today maddies her today everybody clap because maddies here today etc" and went round so everyone introduced themselves. Then go on to sing other nursey ryhmes etc. They all so have stories etc in circle time.
Really circle time is about all sitting and doing sometihng together- (rather than running around wildly playing individually.
Did he enjoy nursery?

tiredandgrumpy Wed 09-Jul-08 20:09:22

I think circle time is also when ds's group talks about what they've done at the weekend, for example. Means they all get time to talk and to learn to listen to other kids. I think it's an excellent idea and incredible that they can get such young kids to cooperate.

LittleMyDancing Wed 09-Jul-08 20:09:56

He loves nursery - he's been going since he was nine months, but it's only now he's really talking and remembering stuff that we find out what happens there!

Pinchypants Thu 10-Jul-08 11:13:46

It is hilarious when they come home from nursery parroting phrases you haven't heard before, out of context. DD is nearly two and has starting come out with 'Everyone! Sit down in circle, mummy!' at home. No idea what they do in a circle, so this is very interesting thread!

LittleMyDancing Thu 10-Jul-08 11:49:33

Yes, DS came home yesterday singing a song about a boa constrictor, but he could only remember the bit that goes:

'A Boa! Constrictor!
A Boa! Constrictor!
A Boa! Constrictor!
And I don't like it
One Bit!'

so it was a bit mysterious.

cmotdibbler Thu 10-Jul-08 12:19:49

DS (2) has a phrase that comes out at least once a day "Olly bite my finger, gnnnh, ow, Paula says noooo" . Although Olly is prone to this, they can't remember that he has bitten DS's finger. We also get "sit down on your bottom.

Dh and I have formed the concept of a TV show 'Name that tune, toddler stylee' after DS started to sing us songs which had 3 words in - rainbow sky, baa baa, horsey etc

lackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Jul-08 12:23:27

At my DSs nursery it was about talking about things; ie when the playleaders had something important to say, or they used to share news etc. It also taught them a bit of self discipline as they had a ball that was passed around and they were only allowed to speak when they were holding the ball.

they also do it at primary school..he is in Yr1 now, but it's more focussed on what they are learning about etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now