Talk

Advanced search

How big would a nursery outside space have to be? & would having a small one stop you from using it?

(18 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 26-Apr-08 16:03:55

I have measured it and it doesn't look good

How small is small?

dizzydixies Sat 26-Apr-08 16:06:12

no, ours has only a small area which was decked but now has artificial grass on it

we're still happy with the nursery and how they use the space

KatyMac Sat 26-Apr-08 16:07:21

How small.....& how many children?

Sorry to be nosey blush

misdee Sat 26-Apr-08 16:08:19

as long as the space was utilised well it wouldnt put me off.

dd2 nursery had a large play area but it was shared with the neighbouring state nursery, so they both benefitted from it. her previous nursery had a play area about 1/3 of the size and it was used well.

dizzydixies Sat 26-Apr-08 16:13:14

at a rough guess I would say there are 10 in the 0-2 room, 20 in the 2-3 room and 25 in the preschool room

they all use the space at different times

there is an area for 'gardening' activities and the main square area for games/bikes/trikes etc is maybe 10m2?

god am useless with sizes - will try to find you a link to see it - sorry blush

sophiewd Sat 26-Apr-08 16:15:10

Done work experience in a couple of nurseries and they had small gardens, DD's is also small but they take them out for walks alot as well so makes up for it.

dizzydixies Sat 26-Apr-08 16:15:15

ah pants, it has photos of the space but not in a whole, just of smaller pics of the kids doing stuff - will ask dh what size he thinks it is and get back to you

aGalChangedHerName Sat 26-Apr-08 16:27:42

My dd1 attends a nursery which has 20 children. It is a small nursery generally and does not have it's own outdoor space/garden. They do have a very big indoor hall for large equipment bikes etc and a play park right next door to the nursery. They go to the park every day when it's good weather and take the children for a walk whenever it's dry.

Having no outdoor space isn't ideal but hey the nursery is perfect in every other way. Dd is 3.8 and goes for 2.5 hrs(funded place)

Orinoco Sat 26-Apr-08 16:29:28

Message withdrawn

dizzydixies Sat 26-Apr-08 16:30:34

katymac - do you have outdorr space near to you?

ours is a city centre nursery and the kids get to go to the library/city square etc as excursions too

they also have art/music/drama lessons too

all of this and organic/cooked onsite food tipped balance over huge outdoor space for us as we take girls out walking every afternoon with the dog anyway

dh thinks its about 7 or 8m squared if any of this helps smile

SpookyMadMummy Sat 26-Apr-08 16:49:52

Katymac - the day nursery that Dd1 went to is on a main road. It has 3 off road parking spaces which are usually taken up by the staff. The parents pavement-park on the main road, take their child(ren) out on the 'safe' side of the car and into the nursery. Its not unusual to have little or no space. The maximum number of children allowed in the nursery is 57!
Oh and btw the building that its in was a church!

SpookyMadMummy Sat 26-Apr-08 16:50:44

Oh and it has no outdoor play area
(have jsut read your OP againblush

KatyMac Sat 26-Apr-08 16:50:52

Very worried about this tbh

It's very small - maybe 2 to 2.5 sqm per child

DontCallMeBaby Sat 26-Apr-08 17:13:36

We had DD's name down for two nurseries (for a very good reason, slightly long story) and the one we didn't use in the end had a very small outdoor space - 12' by 25' or something like that? It obviously didn't entirely put us off, but I was glad to be able to use the other place, which has a large domestic garden, perhaps 80' long. The place we didn't use was entirely tarmacced (sp?!) over, or rather it was that rubbery stuff, and seemed like a bit of a suntrap. When DD was tiny especially I liked the idea of her sitting a blanket on the lawn under a shady tree (which current nursery has) rather than being in a mini-school-playground.

Ceolas Sat 26-Apr-08 17:17:49

Can you schedule use and have different groups of children out at different times?

KatyMac Sat 26-Apr-08 19:26:39

I'm not sure really

It's very confusing - I must comply with OFSTED - but who knows what they want

Crazylady001 Sun 17-Aug-08 10:54:20

Does anyone know if there is a LEGAL requirement for outside play area? Cannot find anything on OFSTED's website.

ProfYaffle Sun 17-Aug-08 10:59:31

Same as DCMB, we were looking at 2 nurseries at the same time.

The one we didn't use had a small outside space, all walls, tarmac and rubbery matting. The one we went with is on a farm, had a paddock, huge garden, smaller veggie garden as well as a courtyard.

Though, tbh, nice outside space is a desirable, rather than essential, requirement. I'd be happy to compromise if other stuff was fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now