Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dd won't eat or drink at nursery

(7 Posts)
tammybear Thu 06-Jan-05 19:58:00

She's only been today and yesterday, but she won't drink their milk or water, and she won't eat their snacks. She even chucked a biscuit away which is rare. I can provide her own lunch, but I would like her to try new foods and eat what the other children are eating. Should I give the nursery lunch for her to have or should I see if she gets better? I dont want her starving or getting too thirsty! Thanks xxx

MrsBigD Thu 06-Jan-05 20:07:31

tammybear
if it's only been 2 days I wouldn't worry too much. I'm assuming it's all day nursery? Also how old is dd?

My dd will start part time nursery (2.5h per day) in a couple of weeks and I'm half expecting her not to drink the milk or have the snack either as she's a fussy eater at best of times. But given time she'll probably go with the flow . Also dd is very particular about drinking water... don't even think about giving her water straight from the tap. It's gotta be either bottled water or at least filtered.

You can always give dd a bottle of water to take along to avoid dehydration. But I'm a fond believer of 'no healthy child ever starved'. She'll eat when she's hungry she probably just needs to get used to all the new impressions first.

Best of luck

tammybear Thu 06-Jan-05 20:19:10

thanks MrsBigD, think Im just getting too worried lol. Shes 2, but isnt a very good eater as it is, so thats why Im worried I guess.

MrsBigD Thu 06-Jan-05 23:23:57

I know the 'isn't a good eater' syndrom... my dd is a terrible eater, but lately she thankfully discovered grated cheese and eats it by the bucket.

Try not to worry too much. Sometimes dd 'survives' on 2 bottles of milk a bit of fruit and maybe a buiscuit for the day! I always wonder where she takes her abundant energy from!

kinderbob Fri 07-Jan-05 00:15:34

My ds ate nothing the first couple of times, and was gasping with thirst when he got home. Me; "did you have a nice time?" him; "cup, drink, water, now, please".

I sent his Bob the Builder lunchbox the next time and they put his food in that and he ate it. Next time he just did the same as the other kids.

Now we have just got to convince him that's it's okay to poo whilst there!

Frizbe Fri 07-Jan-05 00:34:58

my friends dd had this problem, but they just kept giving her the food and eventually she ate it. She ended up eating anything nursery gave her, but stuck to being fussy at home! kids eh! (6 now and still fussy at home!)

tortoiseshell Fri 07-Jan-05 08:18:17

Ds is very fussy at nursery - he's desperate at home, and possibly worse at nursery. But he only goes once a week, so it doesn't do him much harm if he doesn't eat much that day. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it. On this subject, ds is starting school in September, so I'm having a dilemma about school lunch/packed lunch? I'm leaning towards school lunches for half the week, packed for the other half. On the one hand I can make a packed lunch he'll eat, but I don't want to perpetuate the fussiness. Any thoughts?

I think if I were you I would keep your dd to the nursery food for now, and see how it goes. I'm sure she won't starve, and most children (with the possible exception of my ds) eat better at nursery because of the peer pressure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now