Combining 30 hours free with Tax Free Childcare - Possible?

(6 Posts)
morningbell Fri 30-Oct-20 11:56:39

Hi All,

I have a 4 year old in nursery who is eligible for 30 hours free - but i still pay around 2-300 per month extra on top.

I also have an 18 month old in nursery eligible for Tax Free childcare (she gets invoiced around 600 per month).

I currently pay for each child separately - the £200-£300 for the 4 year old through direct bank transfer to nursery and the £600 for the 18 month old through the childcare portal on government gateway.

Is there anything stopping me being able to pay for both kids through the childcare portal so that the total invoice amount (£800-900pm) can also get the tax relief. Id feel stupid not having done that if its ok to do so!

Any advice much appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
TheUpholder Fri 30-Oct-20 11:58:29

I only pay for one DC but I get both tax free childcare and 30 hours free for her - the code for 30 hours appeared automatically. There’s an option to add another DC so I assume you can.

Bollss Fri 30-Oct-20 11:59:49

I paid through tax free childcare when we got the 30 hours free. Don't see why you can't (disclaimer I only have one child)

insancerre Sat 31-Oct-20 07:21:55

Yes you can do that
Just make sure you let the nursery know that’s how you will be paying

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 01-Nov-20 21:32:44

I think each child needs their own tax free account though, you don’t just pay it front eh same one. Though they are linked so it’s easier enough to do.

mummymummymummummum Sun 01-Nov-20 21:47:13

Register the other child through the childcare website thing. They'll get their own reference. It's then like two separate accounts at the same bank.

Our preschool didn't actually care which child's Gov account we paid from, so the whole lot went through one child's account. Even when she got 30 hours (we had to pay for her extra hours and for my youngest full time). I bow top them up separately to pay for preschool for one and after school club for the other.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in