This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
What would you do?(15 Posts)
Hi all, i’m having a bit of a dilemma in regards to our childrens nursery.
When the closures and lockdown were announced, our nursery closed to all, even key workers children which ours are. This left us in a predicament, as we still needed childcare. The children had been their since January. (Bit of background, they were at another prior to this that closed suddenly on xmas eve 2019)
Our LA found us another nursery, which was meant to be on a temporary basis but the temp nursery said they had availability for them to stay if the old/current one didn’t reopen.
We had a few moments with 1yo DS being upset at drop off but he is now thriving and loving nursery. DD is one of them children that just eases in anywhere, she is a really confident little thing. She is also doing really well, we have even cracked potty training despite the disruption.
Anyway, we have received info that the old/current nursery is reopening to key worker children on the 26th of May. We have recieved lovely birthday cards from them which is so lovely, so this has made me feel a little bit guilty as DH doesn’t want the children to go back to the old one. I don’t really either, I just feel guilty and I don’t know why.
I just don’t want to move them again for the 4th time in 4 months. So what would you do? Would you move them back out of loyalty, or leave them where they are in an excellent nursery & forest school? Ages are 3 & 1 for reference.
I'd leave them where they are if they're enjoying it, and you've no financial obligation to go back.
Leave them where they are as they are enjoying it, assuming the cost is similar / do-able longterm. Will you need to give a month's notice to the old nursery?
I'd keep them where they are if they are happy, theres no good reason I can see to disrupt your kids and go through settling them in again.
Yes there potentially will be a notice period, but in the current circumstances i’m not sure what to expect. We lost a week and a half due to the closure which we didn’t and wouldn’t expect back.
I'd leave them. Make sure you comply with any notice for the old one, plus part on good terms, but it's not unreasonable that you don't want to move them again, so just explain truthfully.
Def leave children where they are
They are settled now
You had to move as nursery wasn’t open
Don’t move again if no need
I would leave them where they are
Just tell the old nursery now
I think that’s plenty of notice, considering they have already broken their contract by closing in the first place
The nursery abandoned you and your children at your time of greatest need. A birthday card, however lovely, doesn’t make up for that. Keep them where they are if they are happy.
The CMA are looking in to nursery fees but you shouldn’t have been charged when they weren’t open and I would argue against any kind of notice period.
We sent an email giving notice last Thursday. They have replied by asking us to reconsider taking our children back in a months time, but if we don’t, full april fees and a months notice fees will be charged. But if we do then we don’t pay, which doesn’t make sense to me.
So drafting a response now.
What is CMA?
CMA = Competition and Markets Authority. They recently stated businesses can’t charge for a service they have not or cannot provide. Check out Money Saving Expert as Martin Lewis explains it so much better than me.
Just to add to my post above, you shouldn’t be charged from the start of the time the nursery wouldn’t take them up until 26 May when they told you they would take them again. You probably are contractually required to pay from 26 May to the end of the notice period but that should only be a few days based on what you’ve said. If you’ve already paid for part of March when they wouldn’t take them this could be offset against that. You could forgo any refund if you want to be nice and save the agro.
I have stated all this in the argument as above. I’m waiting for a response. DH thinks we should just pay the notice period monthly but i don’t see how they can be justfied in charging this.
If my children were able to attend during the notice period i would have no issues, but they aren’t and surely normal rules don’t apy here.
I agree with you @ListenLinda Hope you get it sorted.
Please login first.