Talk

Advanced search

Nursery demanding more money?

(14 Posts)
peachespaige Fri 14-Sep-07 14:52:21

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else thinks this is cheeky.
I applied for several nurseries for ds but he didnt get a place so Ive ended up putting him in a private nursery which is nice but I have to drive to it plus its very expensive.
I got a call on Tuesday offering him a place in my first choice nursery just a walk up the road from us, it is like gold dust trying to get a place people litteraly fight for places, (insane). Anyway I told his current nursery this and said I would pay full fees for the week he has been there and like it states in my contract I will forfit the £100 deposite. Anyway she has now told me that on top of this she wants an extra 2 weeks full fee's for inconvenience! I mean surely she cant just demand that? Im paying £121 a week! What do you think?

fireflyfairy2 Fri 14-Sep-07 14:53:35

Ask her for a copy of the original contract with this clause highlighted for your benefit.

Bet she doesn't get you it!

mytwopenceworth Fri 14-Sep-07 14:55:06

notice period?? Does it state that you have to give them any notice to withdraw?

bookthief Fri 14-Sep-07 14:55:43

Pay whatever it says in the contract and not a penny more. What's she going to do - hold your ds to ransome?

If she took you to small claims for non-payment she'd surely only be able to go by the contract, not some figure pulled out of nowhere.

wheelsonthebus Fri 14-Sep-07 14:55:58

my dd's nursery has a 3-month notice period.

Bubble99 Fri 14-Sep-07 14:56:33

Did your contract state notice period required?

slalomsuki Fri 14-Sep-07 14:57:58

Mine is one months notice and you have to pay up front for it.

I know parents however who cancel the contract with them and restart a new one after every school holiday so they don't pay for the Christmas closure etc

Bubble99 Fri 14-Sep-07 15:00:02

With the week you've paid for, plus the deposit and the extra two week's fees she's asking for, this sounds like one month's worth of fees/notice - which is the notice required at our nursery.

LIZS Fri 14-Sep-07 15:00:52

Normal to have a notice period or pay in lieu. Can he not start when that has expired so you get your money's worth ?

Bubble99 Fri 14-Sep-07 15:02:15

slalomsuki. In popular/busy nurseries there will often not be a place to come back to. Some parents at our nursery have tried this and have been very P'd off when we've offered the place to a new child in their absence.

tissy Fri 14-Sep-07 15:03:05

It may be cheaper to pay a retainer at your new nursery, and keep ds at old nursery till your notice period is over. I would be amazed if you don't have one!

They do have to pay their staff if you withdraw ds at short notice, so it is quite reasonable.

Bubble99 Fri 14-Sep-07 15:10:39

And how many landlords, insurance companies etc would let someone not pay because they were on holiday? hmm

TigerFeet Fri 14-Sep-07 15:28:00

We have to pay a month's notice

We are lucky in that we are not charged for Christmas closure and we also get two weeks a year at half price for holidays.

I don't think a month is unreasonable tbh.

peachespaige Fri 14-Sep-07 16:59:00

It states that we pay £100 deposit which you lose if you dont give your months notice, which we agreed to. I suppose that she must be charging us for the full month even though term didnt start until 10th Sept. It says clearly that you lose the £100 if you pull out but doesnt make it clear about the months fee's. Oh well.
I cant pay a retainer on the new nursery as its a government one and is free. Its a great nursery so it makes the sting of losing the money worth it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now