Talk

Advanced search

ds just started nursery - not looking good

(13 Posts)
mumsville Sat 01-Sep-07 11:27:37

MY ds has just started nursery two days a week. Just been taking him in for a few hours at a time, already I've seen a negative change - he's very clingy to me and now bad tempered. Usually very confident and happy.

He had hist first four hours yesterday and I was told that he cried on an off and wanted to be held all morning (not like him at all).

What can I do to help this or should I just take him out. Is this all normal? I feel wretched.

FLIER Sat 01-Sep-07 11:31:06

how old is he?

WeaselMum Sat 01-Sep-07 11:32:03

My ds was a bit like this for the first two weeks - during the day at nursery he was ok, but at home he would be clingier and much more bad tempered than usual. In the third week it all suddenly fell into place (just as I was on the verge of looking for a childminder), and he was really happy both at nursery and at home. He was 12 months when he started. If you are happy with the nursery, feel confident in the staff etc, I would give it another week, probably. Hope things get better soon.

mumsville Sat 01-Sep-07 11:32:05

15 little months. Honestly - I drop him off with a big smile on my face - don't want to see that mum is worried

FLIER Sat 01-Sep-07 11:32:57

I would say to give him a couple of weeks-you have been his world up until now and he is bound to be a bit clingy. The nursery staff should be aware of this and be helping you both through these first few days.

FLIER Sat 01-Sep-07 11:33:39

aww, my dd is 15 months too. He will come around, eventually

FLIER Sat 01-Sep-07 11:35:13

You're doing the right thing by being all smiley when dropping him off, too.

WeaselMum Sat 01-Sep-07 11:36:47

Ds just coming up to 15 months too smile. I must admit, after nearly 3 trouble free months, he has just started clinging to me again when I drop him off, and his key worker said that she sees this quite often when they get to about that age. But he is always fine as soon as I've walked out (I sneak a peek through the window as I leave).

mumsville Sat 01-Sep-07 11:37:15

tbh - I don't know what ot look for in a nursery. My criteria (especially as he's only there two days) is keep him, safe, happy, and well fed.

They seem OK but I don't know any different. They are Primary Steps and they have just gone into receivership so I don't nkow if they are all a bit worried about their jobs (I'm worried about his place!).

They gave me a written update on how he was coping which is good. But I did notice that they didn't clean his poo nappy too well. Also when I went with him he was put in the toddlers room as he was the only little one that day and they left the gate to the toilet area open and ds wandered straight in - they hadn't noticed. Are these all causes for concern?

susue Sat 01-Sep-07 11:39:11

Quite a while since mine were at nursery but although they cried a little when I first left they were soon playing happily for the rest of the session. It was me that cried for the rest of it!!! Is your ds just old enough to go or is he an older one? And does he know any of the other kids already? My sister kept her last one at home until the following term as he was a bit slow to speak [ not many could understand what he was saying] and he was even an older one. They are all so individual. Has he said why he doesn't want to go or what he's unhappy about. My ds1 went to a nearby nursery for a year but then we put him in the local catholic school and he was miserable cos he'd left all his mates behind and so we moved him to the same school as them and never looked back. Have the nursery got any ideas about how you could handle this, it's awful when they've been so happy at home. Hope some of this helps, take care,

mumsville Sat 01-Sep-07 12:13:38

Oh it does all help.

He keyworker was happy to cuddle him on demand so that's good. He clearly likes and trusts her. He's fine around other kids but at 15 months old with no recognisable words (he's being brought up in two languages) he doesn't have much interaction!

I'm sure he'll be fine - I just need to hold my nerve!

FLIER Sat 01-Sep-07 12:25:32

Its good that he's taken to his keyworker, and that she's happy to cuddle on demand!

As for the dirty nappy area, I would bring it up with the keyworker, just mention that his bottom was awful sore, and ask that they put some sudocrem, or whatever nappy rash cream you use, on him every time his nappy is changed. This may make them take a little more care over cleaning him.

Be strong and hold your nerve, its all normal, so don't worry!
smile

mumsville Sat 01-Sep-07 12:35:24

Thank you all so much.

My dh were agonising all yesterday - all normal - just need to get ourselves together.

Thank you again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now