What's your nursery drop up/ pick up policy

(15 Posts)
OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 13-Nov-19 10:49:19

So the nursery where my 2.5 yr old goes is changing its drop off/pick up policy.
They have a porch and then a buzzer entry system door, the staff know the parents (and there is a code word of your choice should someone else be picking up your child). In the mornings we as parents, take our child into the breakfast room, take their coat off etc and say good bye and on pick up get told where they are in the nursery to go collect them.
The new rule is parents drop off at the door and on pick up we wait at the door for staff to bring our child to us- new "safe guarding" procedure. I and most of the other parents arent happy.
Aside from the additional time I think this will take- particularly at pick up time, I like to see my child start her day and how she interacting a little bit when i pick her up.
Is this usual?

OP’s posts: |
Skiaddicted Wed 13-Nov-19 10:53:29

Where DC is we hand over and pick up at the door one by one, never get to see anything sadly but i understand why they do this.

Orchidflower1 Wed 13-Nov-19 10:58:03

Unfortunately unless you can safeguard the children this is what most nurseries do now. Dsis complained about dn nursery as they used to do parents drop off.... until one or two parents in the preschool room started taking their dc to the toilet. Whilst other chn in there.

timeforawine Wed 13-Nov-19 11:03:03

My nursery has finger print scanner to access the building, we then take coats off in the cloak room, then go to which ever room the child is in. They have no issues with us going into the room, we get to do a little handover with the key workers re sleep/breakfast etc plus see the other kids (which i love as they all come chat to me for some reason :-))
Same at pick up, find which room they are in (pre school and toddlers merge towards the end of the day as picks up start) get handover from key worker, chat about the day etc. Really nice and feel very inclusive, lovely that we can get to know the other children a little bit too and get to chat to the other parents

Pinkflipflop85 Wed 13-Nov-19 11:25:09

I'm surprised the nursery were allowing parents in to the breakfast room and other rooms at pick up time. Looks like the nursery have had some common sense and are improving their safeguarding procedures (ofsted due by any chance?!).

DinoGreen Wed 13-Nov-19 13:10:20

We drop off into the room and collect directly from the room. I do sometimes take my DS into the toilet as well, heaven forbid I should ensure he’s been for a wee before we leave! The toilets at my DS’s nursery are completely visible from the main rooms with staff regularly in and out do not sure why that should be a safeguarding concern.

insancerre Fri 15-Nov-19 12:24:49

All parents and carers are welcome into each room whenever they want
We obviously only let people in that we know and have procedures in place to stop random people from coming in
But each parent or career is welcomed into the room by the keyperson and given a detailed handover of the day
Same at drop off, we encourage all parents and carers to come in and settle their child and we chat to each one as they arrive

Advertisement

OnlyFoolsnMothers Fri 15-Nov-19 12:33:44

thanks all- we seem to have the quickest policy u-turn in history. Guess lots of people kicked up a fuss. They will now allow parents into the building/room but ensure they are shown out. I fully appreciate safety comes first but I would have been very sad to never get a glimpse into my LOs day.

OP’s posts: |
Di11y Fri 15-Nov-19 12:38:37

it's how pre school does it but not nursery. I like to see the environment my dd is in and how she's engaging before she sees me.

missyB1 Fri 15-Nov-19 12:44:33

We don’t allow parents to wander around our rooms. They ring the doorbell and can bring their child into the cloakroom, pick up and handover is also in the cloakroom. We can’t have parents seeing other children getting nappies changed, or going to the toilet etc. They may only be little but they are entitled to their privacy and dignity.

MindyStClaire Fri 15-Nov-19 12:48:40

All parents and carers are welcome into each room whenever they want

This is how it is at DD's nursery, and I'd be very sad if they changed it. I think it's important for us to know the environment she's in, and for her to see us there, engaging positively with the staff etc. Meeting at the door doesn't sound very relaxed! We always have a chat at pick-up, others come over to join in if they have a minute etc. Very casual and friendly, with an open door policy for parents.

Lipperfromchipper Fri 15-Nov-19 12:55:50

We buzz or knock, they open the door, we stand and chat as I sign DS in and then I go find him (usually at the sandpit) and give him a kiss goodbye! Same goes for pick up, knock, they open door, I go in and sign DS out then go get him if he hasn’t been called. Have a chat and laugh with his “teacher” about the day he had and then we go. Love it there!!

CantstandmLMs Fri 15-Nov-19 14:19:29

Our nursery is a free for all. They're never in the same room at pick up. Sometimes I actually get lost 🤦🏻‍♀️ at the same time, it's nice to see them playing naturally at pick up so the formal handover procedure at your nursery seems a bit of a shame.

jannier Fri 15-Nov-19 21:07:36

I would have said the door drop is to make it easier on the children so many parents hang around for one more anxious wave a kiss it upsets the children.

forevercurious Sat 16-Nov-19 14:32:27

At the setting I work in, parents are allowed into their child’s room at any time of the day. They cannot enter their child’s building without a member of staff letting them in and then they drop off / collect their child from their room, they are usually shown out too, to make sure the door is locked behind them!

Some settings don’t allow early collection times etc but we are very flexible and we love that the children can show their parents their artwork on the wall, the models they’ve made or just what they’ve enjoyed playing with that day.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in