Talk

Advanced search

Putting LO in nursery 1 day a week before mat leave ends

(9 Posts)
Firesidetreats1 Mon 30-Sep-19 15:21:43

I’m thinking ahead as my little boy is currently 14 weeks old. I’m due to go back to work in March however I need to give them 8 weeks notice to let them know the date I’m going back (so that would be January) I’m a first time mum so I don’t really know what I’m looking for with nurseries, he wouldn’t need to be there 5 days a week and I was wondering if anyone had put there little one in nursery 1 day a week for a little while before they’ve gone back to work so everyone has time to adjust? If this was something I was going to do it would be around January time. He would be six months by then.

OP’s posts: |
PoffleWaffles Mon 30-Sep-19 15:24:21

I did but just be warned it can take them longer to settle when they're in for only one day a week. I put my son in for 4 mornings a week and it helped everyone adjust, it was a good thing to do.

SquigglePigs Mon 30-Sep-19 15:26:27

The recommendation from our nursery was two half days as they would settle better. A week is a long time between sessions for a tiny one. Our DD is going to do two half days for a while before going up to three days a week.

Benes Mon 30-Sep-19 15:31:24

I did this. It worked well for both of us

coconuttelegraph Mon 30-Sep-19 15:33:38

At the nursery I used they would only do a minimum of 2 days per week, I think it was for the reason above, it's harder to settle for 1 day per week

Lazypuppy Mon 30-Sep-19 22:17:05

1 day isn't enough, as pp said 2 1/2 days is better for them to settle.

MindyStClaire Mon 30-Sep-19 22:25:54

I know a couple who did this. Their girl is now 21 months and still not settled. I also know a couple of babies who only go one day a week long term as family covers the other days, and again, they've really struggled, especially when they miss a day because of illness or holidays and it means they're away for a fortnight.

SMaCM Wed 02-Oct-19 11:37:52

You could just start them every day in the week (or two) before your maternity ends. Maybe a couple of hours the first day, then a morning, then an afternoon and then, if they're fine, just start. It means you are home and they can let you know if there are any problems in those first two weeks.

Fandabydosey Wed 02-Oct-19 17:00:57

I would opts for short more frequent sessions if possible. A week may not be a long time to an adult but it is for a child. Some nurseries won't do single days because children find it really difficult to settle.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in