Advanced search

Can anyone help me with nursery nurse qualifications?

(27 Posts)
Tigerbandage Wed 18-Sep-19 19:37:51

I’m not sure if this is in the right topic but anyway I’m interested in working in a nursery and found this course online
Does anyone know if it’s a recognised qualification or would I be wasting my money?
Screen shot of details

OP’s posts: |
Knowivedonewrong Wed 18-Sep-19 19:43:19

It's a long time since I did my course, things may have changed a bit, but you'll need either an NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Early Years Care & Education.
The course probably has a slightly different name now.
That's what I did while working in a nursery.

Tigerbandage Wed 18-Sep-19 19:45:17

Thanks I wasn’t sure if the above course was any good?
Level 3 award in childcare and education CACHE NCFE

OP’s posts: |
Sunshineinwinter Wed 18-Sep-19 19:49:04

When I did mine many years ago it was a CACHE award which I did at college. So seems right to me. smile

Morrigan6424 Wed 18-Sep-19 19:52:02

I have recently completed this;

It is a full and relevant qualification and i am employed as a nursery practitioner at level 3.

I have met loads of people who have been caught out with online courses, being expensive and of no use.

This one is a lot of work but well worth it.

Good luck!

Tigerbandage Wed 18-Sep-19 20:11:06

Thank you, the Stonebridge one is out of my price range though

OP’s posts: |
CrazyCatLady159 Wed 18-Sep-19 20:18:39

I've got a cache level 3 in childcare and education - I've had it over 10 years.

Your one seems to be the same / equivalent to what I have.

I've worked as a nursery nurse and now a nanny.

If I doubt I'm sure you could call and speak to someone from the place youre looking at online :-)

DooLallyDoo Wed 18-Sep-19 20:48:16

Are you able to complete an apprenticeship through your work place? It will be the most up to date qualification with no fee for yourself to pay.

Fookinwot Wed 18-Sep-19 20:51:31

The price tag would ring alarm bells for me. £375? A fully accredited qualification is usually much more expensive.

Fookinwot Wed 18-Sep-19 20:52:36

It may be because this is an “award” a full level is usually a diploma.

Fookinwot Wed 18-Sep-19 20:52:53

Full level 3 that should say

missyB1 Wed 18-Sep-19 20:57:51

I’ve just qualified after doing a level 3 Early Years Educator diploma through an apprenticeship.

Tigerbandage Wed 18-Sep-19 21:15:10

I don’t work in childcare I’m in retail, I need to work full time to live and my local colleges only do full time courses so I’m a bit stuck, I might call some nurseries and ask them if I would be employable with that qualification
I really can’t afford to spend more than £500
Plus I’m 40 so not a youngster/college type

OP’s posts: |
Iceburglettuce Wed 18-Sep-19 21:31:58

I am currently doing a level 3 apprenticeship at a Nursery and I'm in my 30s. It's hard going to squeeze it all in. I recommend speaking to some local nursery's and see if they will do it as you will need to be doing work experience anyway as part of your course. It's a win win if they can provide the training for you and a job role!

Fookinwot Wed 18-Sep-19 21:39:22

See if you’d be able to get an advance learner loan and pay for a proper level 3 qualification.
The only issue with a level 3 is that you need to be working in a setting to get on to the course, which I understand would be hard for you. Some nurseries do take people on unqualified (salary will be really shit) so keep your eyes peeled, you could train on the job that way.

Fookinwot Wed 18-Sep-19 21:41:05 Oops forgot the link

SquintEastwood Wed 18-Sep-19 21:42:02

In Scotland we need an NC, HNC and SVQ level 3 to be fully qualified.

I'm not clued up on the English system but we can find out what qualifications are needed on our regulatory body site - SSSC here - I'm assuming there's similar where you are.

Tweetinat Wed 18-Sep-19 22:43:00

You need to ensure the qualification is listed here:

If its not on this list, you will be qualified at l3 and won't be able to be included in ratios as a qualified member of staff. I've had staff before who have applied thinking they've got a level 3, only to find that they haven't when we've run our checks.

Tweetinat Wed 18-Sep-19 22:43:31

'You will *not' that should read.

Tigerbandage Thu 19-Sep-19 12:32:13

Thank you, I don’t think it’s listed there as it’s an award not a diploma
Back to the drawing board sad

OP’s posts: |
Geneva1995 Thu 19-Sep-19 18:15:34

My settings offers an option to do your NVQ level 2 or 3 through them for free. Worth asking around

Dani0604 Thu 19-Sep-19 19:23:14

As long as it's work based assessed and not just online it should be fine.
Check the government webs to see if this mee the requirements

Bobbindale Thu 19-Sep-19 20:30:21

Yes a Cache Level 3 is a recognised TA level qualification. The only problem with an online course is there is no practical element. People who have done a college based qualification will have the benefit of work based experience and references, so you would really be best looking at doing some voluntary work in a nursery alongside your online course to ensure you have the best chance of work when you finish.

Fandabydosey Thu 19-Sep-19 23:15:50

I did my L2 as a volunteer then got a paid job did my L3 and my Early years SENCO. Try getting a job in a nursery they may be willing to put you through your training. Most courses you will need to have practical experience as well as having access to policies and being a key person to a child

nannynick Fri 20-Sep-19 06:29:05

The award level is useless in my view.
Any nursery looking for a qualified member of staff will need someone who is Level 3 Diploma level qualified.

The main course now in England is the Early Years Educator. There are various routes (called pathways) to that Diploma level course enabling people to do it whilst at college or whilst working. Expect it to cost £1500-£2000 and to take 18 months-2 years.

The award level course is just an introduction, it is not useful to a nursery wanting a qualified member of staff. It may be useful for getting on an apprentice position to then go on to do the Early Years Educator diploma.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in