Talk

Advanced search

Worried nursery stress will traumatise my baby

(4 Posts)
mummmmeee Wed 21-Aug-19 12:19:54

I'm going to work full time next week. My LO nearly 10 months old has had 2 settling in days at nursery. First went very well, on second he was ok at first but then on my return he was crying his eyes out. The nursery staff said he had been crying for 10 mins. His face was red and blotchy and he was hysterical. The nursery staff member was holding him trying to console him with no luck.

I'm still BF him as he refuses bottles but we've been cutting it down during the day.

He's got another settling in session booked in before I go back to work.

Feel tearful, for the first week he'll be spending nearly 5 hrs at nursery, from thereafter he'll be there for 8hrs mon-fri. I wish I didn't have to work but I can't afford to be a sahm or work part time.

Please tell me it'll get better and my LO will be ok sad I keep thinking him crying like that will cause him trauma and damage him in some way. He never cries like that at home but that's because I'm always with him I get that. The nursery is good, my DD went there previously although she was older when she started. A few friends children go there and all recommend it highly.

OP’s posts: |
Anotherusefulname Wed 21-Aug-19 12:22:32

He will be fine. He will come to love going, and you will feel better knowing he is happier. It is a positive circle.

iklboo Wed 21-Aug-19 12:26:53

Awww. Poor wee thing. Honestly, very soon he'll be going in with no fuss and no backwards glance. Then you'll be the one sobbing in the car (no, definitely wasn't me. Uh-uh. Nope).

insancerre Sat 24-Aug-19 09:39:01

This week I’ve said goodbye to one of my key children as he starts school
I have cared for him for 2 and 1/2 years
When he started he was upset at sleep time as he has only ever slept on mum for daytime naps. He cried a lot but did settle, so much so that his last week he sat on my foot and wouldn’t let me leave the building when my shift ended
He doesn’t seem to have suffered any stress from the settling in wrong years ago

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in