part time nursery places give notice for full time child

(10 Posts)
mumwon Mon 19-Aug-19 18:44:07

Is this normal? Informed that if child has part time place at nursery & full time child needs a place they will give part time child 2 months notice unless they turn full time?

OP’s posts: |
itsaboojum Mon 19-Aug-19 18:54:54

It’s certainly not at all common in my experience. But what difference does it make whether or not it’s considered "normal"? It’s a perfectly reasonable condition if they’ve made it clear in the contract.

bananaskinsnomnom Fri 23-Aug-19 21:02:10

I’ve never seen that before. Unfair but private businesses can do what they like. Full time equals more money sadly.

Fandabydosey Thu 29-Aug-19 21:43:26

Seems harsh and uncaring. Is this really what the 30hr funding has reduced nurseries to?!! 😭😳

BloodyTired Thu 29-Aug-19 22:29:06

Completely normal I'm afraid, unless your part time hours match up with another part timer to cover the full time space.
There are strict ratios and saving a space for a child that only wants one day a week when there is a child asking for 5 days a week just doesn't make financial sense.

HypatiaCade Fri 30-Aug-19 14:24:31

I'm assuming that's because a part timer is using the government allowance only or for most of their hours, whereas a full timer has to pay the difference, which is at a much higher rate than the government allowance. So two part timers gives the nursery less money than a full timer, for the same number of hours

Fandabydosey Sat 31-Aug-19 21:45:26

These are people/children we owe it to them to give them their best life. Money shouldn't be a factor here. Children's is what co8

Advertisement

itsaboojum Sun 01-Sep-19 13:13:17

"These are people/children we owe it to them to give them their best life. Money shouldn’t be a factor here."

That’s a very fine principle, but not helpful in practice. Money is a factor because nurseries will close if they don’t take enough money to pay the bills: and an awful lot of nurseries are in just that position.

Nurseries can’t refuse to pay their rent, their staff, their suppliers, their insurer, their professional service providers, et al. They can’t tell all those people, "we’re not paying you but we’re sure you’ll understand that money doesn’t matter because we’re just trying to give children the best."

With very few exceptions, nurseries do not make big profits: only half make any profit at all. The OP's nursery is almost certainly having to optimise the use of valuable places just to keep its doors open.

Fandabydosey Sun 01-Sep-19 22:18:56

@itsaboojum I am well aware of the issue surrounding the 30 hour funding and how it is bring our industry, my job my passion to its knees. I don't do my job for the financial reward I do it because its my passion. Something has to give. All children deserve a chance. This system is not fair

june2007 Sun 01-Sep-19 22:27:25

No I don't think any nursery I have worked in openly has done this. They may prioritise a full time over part time on the waiting list but not if the pt has already started sessions.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in