Talk

Advanced search

Nursery settling regression?

(7 Posts)
NaiceHamPlease Fri 26-Jul-19 10:18:03

Can anyone advise how to help DS, 20 months, with what seems like a regression with nursery settling?

He's been going to nursery two days a week for the last 5 months. He was slow settling, lots of tears and upset initially, but has come on so well in the last month or so. He moved up a room four weeks ago and started going in much better and being much happier at pick up. He'd still have a little cry for a moment but would happily go off for breakfast with his key lady.

I've watched him sneakily at pick up quite a few times and he's always been having a lovely time. Although he's always a little emotional when he sees me at pick up it passes in moments. He's eating really well, sleeping well and generally joining in with everything. I get lots of photos and updates from the staff to support this and did feel really reassured but the last three nursery days have been awful. He's been very upset at drop off, although still settles quickly, and very upset at pick up. His key lady says he's been up and down lots during the day and not his usual self although he's still eating and sleeping well. She's not sure what's unsettled him and neither am I. he's also getting upset if I talk to him about nursery (always in a postive way) at home.

He's being quite dramatic at home and is, I think, going through a big language leap and also getting frustrated very quickly with everything. He's started waking very early too.

I don't know if it's just a phase or there is more to it, but he's really upset and I feel so awful for him, I just don't know what to do. I feel like going back to get him this morning and it's horrible.

Any advice greatly received....... sad

OP’s posts: |
NaiceHamPlease Fri 26-Jul-19 18:43:21

Hopeful bump for the evening crowd...

Starlight456 Fri 26-Jul-19 18:48:19

Is he happy once you have left? I had it with my Ds . I had to accept he was upset I was leaving . He wanted me but was happy at nursery . He once told me he sat on the carpet all day waiting for me . He is now diagnosed with ADHD so couldn’t sit still if his life depended on it.

NaiceHamPlease Fri 26-Jul-19 21:55:08

Ah bless him @starlight456, my DS isn't verbal enough to tell me that just yet, I bet he would if he could.

He was better when I collected him today and his key lady said he'd had a better day, seconds of lunch and lots of play, just a few wobbles. I've seen a few photos from today of him outside playing, he looked serious but no red eyes so guess he's been OK. It's just the sudden change that's worried me as he's slowly but surely been improving at drop off and suddenly it feel like we are back to square one, the poor love.

insancerre Sat 27-Jul-19 06:25:14

It’s probably just the weather and lack of sleep if he’s waking early
I’m sure his key person would let you know if anything had happened

itsaboojum Sat 27-Jul-19 08:57:52

IME it is not at all uncommon for a settled child to have the odd wobble, or go through spells of seeming less settled than previously. There isn’t necessarily any particular reason for it. Just one of those things.

NaiceHamPlease Sat 27-Jul-19 09:39:03

Thanks all. I'm feeling a bit more reassured today although DS is back in bed for a nap after a 5.20 start, he's exhausted. He used to be a 6 to 6.30am riser but for the last month he's been super early. We've also had about 4 new words this morning so guess it may also be leap related.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in