Talk

Advanced search

One illness after another...

(12 Posts)
GnTplease Sun 30-Jun-19 15:58:43

So my DD (9 months) started nursery 2 days a week a month ago following the end of my mat leave and my god...she has been SO poorly. We had conjunctivitis followed by a horrific cold then 2 weeks of terrible nappies and now a nasty vomiting bug that I've also caught.
I know they are a hotbed of germs but I didn't expect it to be this bad. Is this normal? If so how long does this one sickness after another phase usually last?

OP’s posts: |
underneaththeash Sun 30-Jun-19 16:15:58

All my three were the same. Lasted about 6 months unfortunately.

GnTplease Sun 30-Jun-19 17:12:08

So just 5 months to go 🙈 x

Thursday452poh Sun 30-Jun-19 17:15:36

I think it depends if first child or not too tbh..... as with older children babies are exposed to more bugs at younger ages due to everything they pick up. My DS wasn’t too bad and only just picked chicken pox up at aged 4.5 despite nursery full time for years! His older brother gave him lots of bugs when he was new, tons of colds- sickness bugs etc

JustMe9 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:17:14

My boy started nursery 2,5 months ago and was poorly once - with a very nasty ear infection. I was expecting for him to be on and off nursery but really he only missed 1 week since he started. Make sure you give your child good multivitamins and fish oils - this helps to boost their immunity. Really, in summer theey shouldnt be poorly as there are no viruses around... I am not looking forwrd to autumn!!

DullPortraits Sun 30-Jun-19 17:52:02

My sisters baby was sick for months after starting nursery! At one point it seemed she was being contacted at work every other week to collect as DN had vomited/ had diarrhoea and my sister was terrified she would lose her job especially as each time DN would not be allowed back to nursery until 48hours clear of symptoms and she had nobody else to take DN for the day. In between the DandV bugs came horrible colds, conjunctivitis and various viral infections. It seemed never ending, then my sister would get everything too!! Its really not fun waiting for their immune systems to kick in x

GnTplease Sun 30-Jun-19 18:26:57

Really good advice with the vitamins. She has just started dropping her formula below the 500ml a day so was planning on getting some -will pick them up tomorrow. She is my first so hasn't been exposed to much prior to nursery. Thankfully it's been more on the days she isn't there...and my work are pretty amazing in terms of dependants leave. Must be really stressful for your sister.

HJWT Sun 30-Jun-19 18:35:08

@GnTplease my DD has vitamins she often gets a runny nose, had 2 coughs and tonsillitis so far started in jan x

WeedsAndMoss Sun 30-Jun-19 18:48:35

Normal and miserable. It's a horrible time!
Vitamins and sleep when you can wthanks

iklboo Sun 30-Jun-19 18:54:42

Small children are walking germ warfare. We had the same with DS when he was little. And again when he went to high school (bigger germ pool).

GnTplease Sun 30-Jun-19 19:31:26

Well glad it's the norm at least - was worried perhaps the nursery weren't practicing the best hygiene...but then again when they literally lick EVERYTHING at this age it's a bit tough.

MeadowHay Sat 06-Jul-19 21:47:04

Totally normal. DD started at 8.5 months and was ill once after the other for the best part of 3 months tbh. Shes 1 now and been vaguely well for a little while now!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in