Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Clueless - from childminder to nursery?

(6 Posts)
bitzermaloney Thu 26-Jul-07 15:52:35

I am working 3 days a week and ds is currently with a childminder, but I keep hearing people talk about 'when he goes to nursery' ie. changing from childminder to nursery at around age 3... is this what is 'normally' done/recommended? If so is 3 the age to do it? Is it because nursery is considered more of a preparation for school?

I am thinking way ahead here as ds is just coming up to 1 atm and loves his CM. I am just clueless about what is supposed to happen when and why! His birthday is in August so I suppose he will have to start school young .

BeautyQueenMomma Fri 27-Jul-07 12:36:50

How do find working part time? Are there any issues about it that returners should be aware of?
Part time jobs are so tricky to find don't you think?

Katymac Fri 27-Jul-07 12:45:57

There isn't a 'normal'

Children are entitled to 5 sessions (each 2.5 hrs long) of 'free' nursery care the term after their third birthday.

Some childminders are qualified to give nurery care (so you can claim the free sessions) and some aren't (I'm not)

You C/Mer might take your child to nursery and collect it or it might be better if your lo went on the days you are home esp if your son is settled with the C/Mer and she doesn't do the nursery you want

HTH

bitzermaloney Fri 27-Jul-07 16:57:47

Thanks katymac. When you say some cms are qualified to give nursery care, what does that mean?

beautyqueenmomma, I am self-employed and work from home so set my own working hours, which is nice!

bitzermaloney Fri 27-Jul-07 16:59:50

Oh, and how far in advance do you usually need to book a nursery place?
TIA

Katymac Fri 27-Jul-07 17:00:15

Exactly that - they take an extra qualification and are assessed like nurseries on their standard of care and education so can offer nursery education

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now