Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SHY. Any ideas?

(8 Posts)
Fatfrog Wed 25-Jul-07 00:34:22

The manager of my ds nursery informed me this afternoon that that he doesn't say a word to anyone, kids or staff the entire time he is there. He plays alone in the playground. He is 3.6 and this is his first nursery, he goes twice a week for 2.5 hr sessions.

He is a bright and chatty fellow at home, but today he told me he is shy with the others. I was really shy when I was little and want to help him avoid the lonely misery of shyness! Dh is furious that the staff aren't doing more (are they supposed to?) Any tips to help him overcome this?

1dilemma Wed 25-Jul-07 00:39:42

Ohh poor wee thing I'm sure it will get better.
FWIW my ds never said hello to anyone people were always saying it to him plus how are you etc. We talked to him about it then practised it with him now he does it of his own accord
sometimes
but it is better.
Can you practice talking with him. DO you have friends with lo yo can play with?
Yes staff should be helping him. how about making an appointment/collering his keyworker and asking them how theypropose to help.

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Wed 25-Jul-07 00:39:56

is he also unhappy at nursery, or is just being contentedly solitary? if happy, i would have thought it best to do nothing, and wait and see. once he finds another child he can relate to things will change, won't they? my dd is same age, and not shy, but when in a group of new people she doesnt chat, she just gets on with whatever they expect her to do...

1dilemma Wed 25-Jul-07 00:40:18

Sorry about my awful typing!

1dilemma Wed 25-Jul-07 00:40:47

Agree with always too.

nurseryvoice Wed 25-Jul-07 18:22:30

They might already be trying different strategies. eg working in small groups of children, group activities such as a large collage or games etc
Ask them if they can offer any advice as he will not be the only shy child they have ever had.

Fatfrog Wed 25-Jul-07 23:11:23

Thanks for your replies and good advice. I spoke to the nursery lady today and she promises to encourage him to join in and create bonds with one or two others. We are new to the area so he only sees his other pals occasionally.

Trouble with shyness is that the only way to cure it is to speak! I like the idea of practicing 'hello!' etc and can see that working.

He loves his nursery and I'm keen to nip this in the bud before it forms a habit of never ever speaking when he's there!

saadia Wed 25-Jul-07 23:18:55

When ds1 started nursery he took a while to settle and it helped when we suggested that he learn the names of a few other children. That seemed to really help for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now