Talk

Advanced search

DS bitten by another child - do nursery staff inform other parent?

(18 Posts)
Lew1993 Fri 24-May-19 10:46:39

Got a call from nursery staff yesterday to say DS (3) had been bitten by a child, they'd been playing and other child got fed up of sharing and immediately went and bit him. Picked him up and signed an accident form, didn't really ask any questions just wanted to know he was ok.

Looking at the bite mark today he has a full mouth print mark on him with some skin come away.

My question really is do nursery staff usually inform the other child's parent that there child has done that? Didn't think to ask and they're off for a week now, just think biting is quite an extreme reaction from a child and would hope other parent is aware?

OP’s posts: |
MyDcAreMarvel Fri 24-May-19 10:48:05

Yes they tell the other parent, it’s not an extreme reaction though from a nursery age child.

CMOTDibbler Fri 24-May-19 10:48:40

When ds went through a biting phase, we were informed when he did it.

Lew1993 Fri 24-May-19 10:51:27

Thanks for responses.

I did think it was extreme before pushing or anything just to go straight to biting but apologies if I'm wrong

CrotchetyQuaver Fri 24-May-19 10:55:03

Perfectly normal for this age group. Yes the other parent is told.

Ivestoppedreadingthenews Fri 24-May-19 10:56:56

Really not abnormal behaviour at that age (unfortunately!).
They will inform the parents

Lew1993 Fri 24-May-19 10:58:23

Thank you everybody,

My first child to go into nursery so I've not had any other experience of what's normal and what's not so thank you smile

CostanzaG Fri 24-May-19 11:00:37

Totally normal behaviour and yes the other parents are informed....my DS was a biter. They grow out of it quite quickly though.

BurningGubbins Fri 24-May-19 11:02:37

Totally normal and the other parents will have been told, I’m sure (I was). Don’t assume that your logical adult views on escalation of a situation apply to toddlers...

SoHotADragonRetired Fri 24-May-19 11:03:01

It's normal at this age, honestly. Just be glad yours wasn't the biter this time around. Yes the other child's parents will be told, but rightfully the nursery staff are not going to tell you who it was.

magicBrenda Fri 24-May-19 11:04:49

Not all kids do this so I would say it was completely normal. How ever some kids do bite. And it can be upsetting when your child is on the receiving end of it.

Lew1993 Fri 24-May-19 11:06:41

* Don’t assume that your logical adult views on escalation of a situation apply to toddlers...*

Already said I'm new to this so don't need the patronising replies thank you. I only asked for if parents were informed as I'd want to know if and when mine does.

I also don't want to know what child did it, otherwise I would have asked as I know I don't need to know that.

Bear2014 Fri 24-May-19 11:12:33

At our nursery they definitely inform both sets of parents, and it is very common. They wouldn't tell you the name of the other child though even if you asked.

Lew1993 Fri 24-May-19 11:14:20

Thank you for all the informative responses smile
He's only been there 2 weeks so I haven't a clue!

TheStakeIsNotThePower Fri 24-May-19 11:43:24

As the parent of a biter, yes they do tell the parent and yes biting is normal! Biters do grow out of it. Eventually.

TheStakeIsNotThePower Fri 24-May-19 11:47:05

And don't worry about not knowing what is normal and what isn't, we are none of us born knowing that stuff.
A mother came up to me when our kids were in reception full of apologies because her child had bitten mine (Her child told her who he bit), she was mortified and she was the mother of 2 with numerous older nephews and nieces she is close to yet having not had any of them be biters she honestly had not realised it was normal.

NewSchoolNewName Fri 24-May-19 12:27:36

TheStake I don’t think it’s normal for a Reception aged child to still be biting.

It’s not unusual for toddlers to bite, yes, but most biters will have grown out of it by the time they’re old enough to start school.

BurningGubbins Sat 25-May-19 01:17:59

OP I wasn’t being patronising - it was a lighthearted comment about toddler “logic”, not an attack on your parenting.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in