Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Not sure what to do about this - advice apprecieted.

(10 Posts)
shinysink Fri 13-Jul-07 21:30:27

My niece is currently working in a nursery which has recently been inspected by Ofsted (March 2007). The manager/owner of the nursery didn't bother turning up for that day and the report is hideous - everything down as "inadequate" in the report.
My niece is 17 and has finally got her CRB check through but has been changing nappies/taking children to the toilet ever since she joined the staff in January - the manager said this was part of her job and the CRB check didn't matter!. Now I am no pre-school/nursery worker but am a HV and this just does not seem right. Would you want a person who hadn't been CRB checked changing your child's nappy or taking them to the loo unaccompanied? I don't think I would.
Lastly - my niece has told me that the Pre-School Learning Alliance recently donated a laptop computer for the childrens use (the pre-school did not previously have any access to computer equipment) and the manager/owner promptly said "I'm having that" and has taken it home!

Is there any point in my reporting this to Ofsted? I don't want my niece getting into any trouble but I think this is all so appalling.

shinysink Fri 13-Jul-07 21:31:32

Incidentally my niece was honest with Ofsted when they asked her about the CRB check and taking changing nappies etc.

lulumama Fri 13-Jul-07 21:33:26

report it, can be done anonymously

but if the manager is not even there for the inspection, i cannot imagine she actually cares

i imagine a fair few parents would pull their children out after such a bad report

if i was your niece, i;d look for a job with a better nursery

NurseyJo Fri 13-Jul-07 21:35:26

Message withdrawn

muppetgirl Fri 13-Jul-07 21:36:58

Parents have a questionaire sent to them to fill in regarding the nursery. Not sure if staff get one. (am ex primary teacher not nursery)
Re crb -It is my understanding that children should not be left alone with any adult who has not been crb checked (I would think especially when initiating personal hygenie with children who can't speak)
Adults waiting for crb check were allowed in the classroom but not out of teacher's eyesight with groups or individuals.

I would be worried for your neice should any parent raise any concern as she is not 'covered' by a crb check.

muppetgirl Fri 13-Jul-07 21:38:22

NurseryJo -agree totally as she obviously isn't seeing 'good practise' how is she to learn?

shinysink Fri 13-Jul-07 21:39:33

Thanks. She's actually leaving very soon to do A Levels so I am wondering about waiting until she's gone (end of next week)before reporting it.
PLA might be a good bet - not sure where exactly it came from but I imagine if I mail the C.E it should be investigated.

shinysink Fri 13-Jul-07 21:42:26

_I would be worried for your neice should any parent raise any concern as she is not 'covered' by a crb check_

Very good point

NurseyJo Fri 13-Jul-07 21:49:38

Message withdrawn

mumofhelen Sun 15-Jul-07 15:54:14

I would contact the Pre-School Learning Alliance too - hopefully one of their employees will be reading this and investigate. The Pre-School Learning Alliance is a charity and misusing a donation is, in my opinion, tantamount to fraud. No doubt the nursery is advertising it's link to the Pre-School Learning Alliance and it's this type of poor nursery practice which puts the whole pre-school "industry" into disrepute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now