Talk

Advanced search

Nursery took double the monthly money and a week later they haven't refunded

(6 Posts)
howmanyusernames Tue 09-Apr-19 11:32:46

I pay my nursery fees via the tax-free childcare account, and since January have had no issues.
Last Monday they took the money from that account, but also took a months money from my bank account!

I got in touch with them Monday (1st) and they said it was their error and the money would be back in my account within 5 working days.
It is now 7 working days and I still don't have the money back, or anyone saying when I will get it back.

I have been in touch with the nursery and the Manager I dealt with is off sick, and the person I'm dealing with is '3rd in charge' (her words) and said she's contacted the accounts department to ensure an urgent refund is done.

I'm just not sure what to do now. This has made me go overdrawn too, as you can imagine having two lots of monthly fees going out my account the same day is quite a lot of money!

OP’s posts: |
Invisimamma Tue 09-Apr-19 11:35:14

Is it part of a chain or small independent?

Phone them and say you need the money and will come and collect it in cash as the transfer is taking too long. Also ask for them to cover your charges for being overdrawn as a result of their error.

howmanyusernames Tue 09-Apr-19 11:40:09

Yes, it is part of a bigger company.

Initially when it happened I spoke to their accounts dept, they told me to speak to my bank and get the DD returned. I called the bank, spent 20 mins on the phone, and they said I couldn't do this as it wasn't covered under the DD guarantee.
I called the nursery back and told them, they said the same thing again. I said I wasn't going to call my bank again and it was the nursery who'd got the double payment so they needed to refund me. They said they would, within the 5 working days. But still nothing.

Invisimamma Tue 09-Apr-19 11:42:36

Call head office, ask to speak to the manager if needed. Say you want to collect your refund in cash today plus compensation for the banking fees.

howmanyusernames Tue 09-Apr-19 11:54:15

Just called, they're doing it now and should be in my account this afternoon! ☺

underneaththeash Fri 12-Apr-19 16:27:55

As it’s completely their mistake they are liable for your overdraft fee as well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in