Talk

Advanced search

Would this bother you if this happened at your child's nursery?

(74 Posts)
IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 11:19:23

Hello

I am very upset by this as it has totally changed my feeling towards the nursery - am I being over sensitive or should I say something?

The nursery is advertised as being open from 7am - 6pm monday - friday.

The only day that DS stays all day is Friday when I collect him at 5.15.

On friday I was the only one in my department so had to look up which took a bit longer than expected (lots of doors!) so I rushed out and ran to the nursery - on the way I called to say that I may be a wee bit late. I was told "Well DS is our last child today" I said I'd be there asap and got a sigh and a "See you when we see you then".

I got to the nursery at 5.16 and actually there was still another child there as well as DS.

On another occassion I have turned up at 5.15 to find DS in his buggy outside the nursery with one of the staff who had her coat and bag with her so had obviously locked up for the day.

The reason this bothers me is that I would hate for DS to be cared for by someone who woudl rather not be there. I know that we all want to go home at the end of the day but I was made to feel that I was inconviencening the nursery. If someone turned up in my office at 5 I would not have my coat and bag on and if someone called to say for example that they needed to drop something off at 5.05 I would not say "well I only work till 5" - I work with adults and I think it is even worse if it is someone who deals with children to take that attitude.

Any advice gratefully recieved!

iota Mon 09-Jul-07 11:21:39

I would turn up at 5.55pm next week

MrsCarrot Mon 09-Jul-07 11:22:54

I think you need to speak to them about it and confirm times with them. My DD used to be waiting in the foyer at my University nursery if I was latebut that was at five and they closed at five.

I would not expect my dd to be waiting outside if I thought they were open till six.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 09-Jul-07 11:23:03

If you are actually paying for the whole session, ie till 6, then yes, I think you are right to be a little bit irritated.
Our nursery closes at 6 and dh is usually the last person to pick their child up, but he has never actually been late, and he says that on occasion they have been a bit grumpy about it, which I think is a bit of a cheek, personally.

However if it's good in other ways I wouldn't worry.

Wisteria Mon 09-Jul-07 11:23:15

I'd be cross too tbh - but wouldn't go steaming in.
Think I might take the approach of asking to speak to the nursery manager and sort of say - 'can I just check what time you're open until in the evening as I thought it was 6 - then you can explain why you needed to check!

oranges Mon 09-Jul-07 11:23:34

i'd actually write a letter to the manager, asking her to clarify when the nursery opening times are, and say subtly that you wondered if they had changed because staff seem to lock up at 5.15. it is totally unfair on your ds to be made to feel he is in the way.

usandnosleep Mon 09-Jul-07 11:23:54

I wouldn't be happy at all

fishiejane Mon 09-Jul-07 11:26:20

i agree with kathy, depends what time you are paying for. on the bright side it is nice that he is all ready to go and you are very reliable in your timekeeping so he isn't being kept waiting in the porch.

HuwEdwards Mon 09-Jul-07 11:28:45

I was late to pick up DD last week and phoned them to say I would be about 5mins. Their response was 'No problems, thanks for letting us know'. DD was sitting on carer's lap having a book read to her.

I would feel uneasy too about the situation you had.

jellyhead Mon 09-Jul-07 11:29:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HuwEdwards Mon 09-Jul-07 11:30:48

Do what Oranges said.

tiredemma Mon 09-Jul-07 11:31:46

I would be really pissed off if this was happening at ds's nursery.

Oblomov Mon 09-Jul-07 11:40:51

I wouldn't like it AT ALL.

mslucy Mon 09-Jul-07 11:43:26

that's very shoddy.

Ours officially shuts at 6, but they expect all parents to collect at 5:54 so the staff can clear up etc.

They would never, ever treat a child like that.

I would complain.

mslucy Mon 09-Jul-07 11:43:42

I mean 5:45!

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 11:50:51

As I understand it they advertise their opening hours as 7am - 6pm but only have staff there is a child is actually booked in to be there. I have phoned at 8am before and there is no one there.

I am only paying until 5.15, not till 6 but as with most nurseries I get charged for sessions if DS is ill or if I am off work and want to spend the day with him.

It has really upset me and I am dwelling on it as it totally undermines the way I feel about the nursery as a whole.

I was tempted to be a bit passive/aggressive by asking if it would better if I arranged for someone else to pick DS up earlier on a friday as clearly the 5.15 time was an inconvieince to staff but I would rather be upfront.

I am having a hard time at the moment and this is not helping! DS's dad and I split up, I am having issues at work and I have just sold my flat and bought a house so have a lot on my plate and it is really important for me to know that DS is somewhere where he is happy and safe and that the staff want to be there - ie are not champing at the bit at 5.15 on the dot.

As I have to work full time to support us I really need a good nursery and thought I had found one but really have my doubts now. I really dont want to move him especially as there is so much upheaveal elsewhere in his life

Sigh

Lolly68 Mon 09-Jul-07 11:52:09

Definately complain.

thehairybabysmum Mon 09-Jul-07 11:52:18

I would also be annoyed at this...especially as they had him outside waiting!!

I would also politely check the opening hours as i am the sort of dozy mare that would likely get this completely wrong (not that im implying that you are a dozy mare BTW!!).

If it is six then i would complain....or ask for a discount for the last hour!

mumto3girls Mon 09-Jul-07 11:54:20

Why not just pay til 6 if you can, then there's no rush to be back? I know money is tight, but it would be a load of your mind.

fishiejane Mon 09-Jul-07 11:55:13

you must speak to them if you are unhappy, it won't go away and you are paying them to provide you with a service.

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 11:56:47

I really do feel that I need to say something as I am stewing over it but I just don't know how best to approcah it.

It has been the carer that I persoanlly liked the most who has done this both times - an older woman who DS loves. She has been at the nursery for aeons and I think she is the second in command after the owner. I hate confrontation and hate falling out with people but this is bothering me so much.

stealthsquiggle Mon 09-Jul-07 11:57:49

I would be annoyed. I pay for DD's nursery until 6pm as although we aim to pick her up earlier, we may occasionally cut it fine. Anytime after 5:30pm she is quite likely to be the last child there, and the staff are usually walking out by the time I have her strapped in her car seat, but they are certainly not waiting outside!

I would have a word with the manager, if I were you - as others have said, check the hours, and maybe comment on your experience - it may well be that they are not aware that the staff do/say things like that? Personally I don't like leaving DD there "last" as her main carers (and the ones I like/trust most) have generally left by then, but she seems happy enough and there are always 2 members of staff there.

Legacy Mon 09-Jul-07 11:57:49

If you are only paying until 5.15 I think it IS slightly different, however it's still no excuse for their 'off' attitude. Rather than go steaming in I think you should seek to clarify things first.
e.g. perhaps the member of staff waiting with him outside was the last one from that 'shift' - she was waiting to go too, presumably.

If you were paying until 6, then I would be livid, but as it's only til 5.15 it's more understandable, even if a bit 'over-efficient' !

mslucy Mon 09-Jul-07 11:59:18

If you have doubts, then I think you should maybe investigate other options.

Is it a private nursery or is it run by the council?

My ds was at a private nursery 2 days and a cm 3 days a week when I first went back to work.

He was very little.

I always loved the cm (she's an old friend of dh) but had second thoughts about the nursery.

There was something about it I couldn't quite put my finger on.

My ds seemed happy enough but a lot of the kids seemed quite grumpy and there was lots biting amongst the older ones.

Then I got a place at a Children's Centre run by the local council.

I have nothing but praise for the place, the staff are brilliant and the kids have a great time.

There's just a much nicer atmosphere there, even though the fees are a lot less.

My son didn't miss the old nursery and was at home in the new one within days.

I am really, really glad I moved him.

So if you're not sure about the current nursery, DO SOMETHING.

Your child will not suffer.

PS. Sorry to hear about all your problems - that sounds really shit.

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 12:01:54

I did think of paying later but the issue would be the same - in fact may be even worse if I kept them back even later!

If DS is the last child regardless of what time that is they want to go home.

I need to put DS in for longer days on at least two other days as Ex is not being reasonable and would make it 5.30 on mon and tues but am concerned that it will be the same then.

It seems to me that a lot of the other parents who use this nursery are part time so that DS is one of the child ren who is there for long hours and that makes me feel very sad especially given the friday events

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: