Advice please on moving nurseries..

(4 Posts)
Tf944 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:38:06

I have a two and a half year old who has been going to nursery since she was 7 months old. Initially settling in was traumatic and she took a couple of weeks to settle in, but has loved it since and is very active/social. She's had a best friend since she is one who she spends most of her time with and is really close to.

I'm currently on maternity leave with a three month old baby and initially planned for her to start the nursery at a similar time and I would go back to work (it's very volatile at the workplace with restructuring etc. and a new contractor boss who isn't sympathetic to family life).

However, we are now planning to move this year to a new area to be close to good primary and secondary schools as my two and a half year old is an August baby so will be starting school next year. We've found a nursery nearby which only has availability from September so I would appreciate any thoughts on what would be best:

1. Keeping my older child where she is and then moving her straight into a new nursery in September (we don't know yet when exactly we will be moving so this might be before or after) and settling in my youngest at this nursery at 7 months before moving her at 12 months to the new nursery. I use holiday days on Mondays to keep them at 4 days a week full time so I wouldn't be able to take additional time off to support the settling in transition.

2. Extending my maternity leave to use the full year which would take me up to when they have availability for 3 days a week and a few weeks off the 4 days a week we need. My eldest would then be taken out of nursery entirely for the 4 months as we wouldn't be able to afford it and then start afresh in the new nursery and my youngest would be settling in at 1 years old. People have mentioned before that they are more clingy at this age for settling in to nursery, but I would then get the time with the two of them over the summer.

I'm not sure which option would be better for both of them so any thoughts appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Ten12 Fri 18-Jan-19 10:20:14

I would go with option 2, but it is of course very personal. Maybe your daughter can still see her friend outside nursery, is that a possibility?

Tf944 Fri 18-Jan-19 13:04:07

Thank you for your thoughts. It's hard to imagine how she will react to either scenario to figure out what will be best and she will be moving from a chaotic village nursery to a very calm Montessori nursery so it will be very different. I will try to arrange for her to keep seeing her friend on the Mondays that I take off from work as I have become friends with her mum, but this is likely to be every couple of weeks.

OP’s posts: |
Ten12 Fri 18-Jan-19 16:29:11

Well it may be better than the other way around (from montessori to chaotic). My impression after visiting various nurseries was that the calmer nurseries are so because they have more staff to engage with the children and therefore the environment is less chaotic. It might take a couple of weeks, but hopefully she will soon have friends in the new nursery too. Best of luck 😊

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in