Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is your nursery's policy on 'runny bottoms'?

(8 Posts)
Ceebee74 Thu 21-Jun-07 09:50:16

The nursery my DS goes to has a policy that 2 'runny poo' nappies and the child is sent home and can't go back for 48 hours.

This does seem a bit excessive to me and wondered what other nurseries do?

DS was sent home yesterday afternoon because of this (he also has a snotty nose and nappy rash so my guess is that he is teething) but is perfectly happy, eating well etc. So I have had to take today off to be at home with a perfectly well child (he has done a normal poo this morning!) - as lovely as it is to be at home with DS, it still annoys me that they can't use a bit of common sense about this.

goingfor3 Thu 21-Jun-07 09:51:56

I'm sure some have this rule after just one runny poo. It's so contagious, they have to protect all of the children and themselves. It is fair.

goingfor3 Thu 21-Jun-07 09:51:56

I'm sure some have this rule after just one runny poo. It's so contagious, they have to protect all of the children and themselves. It is fair.

NerdMagnet Thu 21-Jun-07 09:52:09

Well, a D&V epidemic in a nursery is a pretty serious issue, so I suppose they have to err on the side of caution.

Ceebee74 Thu 21-Jun-07 09:54:28

I do appreciate the reasons for it but it is frustrating - particularly as diorrhea is a symptom of teething so this could happen every time and that is a lot of days off for me.

Was just venting my frustration really

fluffyanimal Thu 21-Jun-07 09:56:38

My ds's nursery has a "more than 3 runny poos" rule, because they know that in most cases it will be down to teething. They always mark it on the daily report if there has been a loose poo.

Shoshable Thu 21-Jun-07 09:56:46

As a Childminder i have the same policy, the amount of times parents have brought a child in without telling me that they had runny poos at the weekend/nighttime and the all of my children and myself have ended up with it is unbelievable, It got so bad once that I had to close till all memebers of all mindees families were clear of it. DH caught it and gave it to a busload of soldiers about to do a motorbike display show. NOT FUN.

1dilemma Fri 22-Jun-07 00:43:40

Same policy here but I think they are a bit flexible about teething etc. It is a pain having to keep them off but I sometimes think nurseries are not strict enough about some illnesses and far too strict about others, but a lot of parents push it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now