Advanced search

Nursery workers

(15 Posts)
candlefloozy Mon 01-Oct-18 20:08:00

I'm thinking of applying for a job in a toddler room. What sort of paper work does this involve?

OP’s posts: |
candlefloozy Mon 01-Oct-18 20:08:35

Didn't explain myself. As a nursery worker, what sort of paper work do you have to do? Policies? Risk assessments?

OP’s posts: |
Sofizzy Mon 01-Oct-18 20:12:44

Observations. Planning, risk assessment, two-year assessments. It really.depend on if the role is a key person or not. Do they ask for a qualified person?

candlefloozy Mon 01-Oct-18 20:16:15

Yes. As room leader? For a toddler room.

OP’s posts: |
Sofizzy Mon 01-Oct-18 20:18:49

Some places ask the room leaders to do plannimg, others expect all staff to do their own.

kimlo Mon 01-Oct-18 20:19:23

are you qualified and experienced enough to be a room leader?

WooYa Mon 01-Oct-18 20:19:25

Accident forms, medication forms, observations, assessments, risk assessments. Sometimes extra forms/paperwork for children with extra needs

Sofizzy Mon 01-Oct-18 20:21:46

I'm confused. Are you applying for a room leader job? If so you should have a couple of years post qualifying experience, so should know what is involved.

candlefloozy Mon 01-Oct-18 20:24:39

I have a degree in early years but have been doing a different role not in a childcare setting for a very long time. I didn't actually do any work experience in a nursery when I did my degree. Just other placements. So wanted to check before applying.

OP’s posts: |
Sofizzy Mon 01-Oct-18 20:29:50

That is a difficult one. With a degree in early years you should be well qualified. However, if it didn't have any nursery practice in it, it might not be what is called 'full and relevant' . You can check it here

I personally would prefer to employ someone with experience over someone with a degree but no experience. Sorry.
But the paperwork side should be easy for you with your qualification.

candlefloozy Tue 02-Oct-18 07:01:27

@Sofizzy thanks. I just wanted to know about how much you actually have to do these days and then I'd consider applying.

OP’s posts: |
insancerre Fri 05-Oct-18 17:23:10

Observations on children
Peer observations on your staff
Learning walks + observations on the routines
Planning for individual children and the areas of the room
2 year checks and reports for parents evenings
Referrals for extra support, eg speech and language
Reports for social services and may have to attend meetings for children with social services involvement
Planning and assessment and reports for children with sen as well as attend meetings
Risk assessments for everything, including trips out
You may be involved in team meetings and staff training
Mentoring students and new staff
Staff rotas
Depending on the size of the setting you may be involved in reports to management on occupancy
Termly cohorts summaries and inputting the information to a spreadsheet

Plus probably lots more

Tumbleweed101 Sat 06-Oct-18 09:51:45

A room leader will oversee that the staff are keeping up to date with their observations, planning and activities. They will make sure all nappy/toiletting charts are complete, keep an eye on how well children are eating, make sure risk assessments and medicine forms are completed correctly. Make sure the children are given good scaffolding and learning opportunities.

The paperwork will vary setting to setting but mostly it’ll be planning and learning journeys, as well as the above.

Two year olds have very specific needs so it might be worth spending a bit of time with this age group before you decide.

Orlande Sat 06-Oct-18 17:16:12

An early years degree probably doesn't make you 'qualified' to work in a nursery, especially as it didn't involve assessed practice.

candlefloozy Sun 07-Oct-18 08:24:06

Thanks @Tumbleweed101 and @insancerre

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in