Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good book on child development

(7 Posts)
horizonglimmer Mon 01-Oct-18 14:10:25

I am about to start a course which will qualify me to work in early years. However, it looks rubbish and I don't think I will learn much. ( I don't have much choice about the course. I am on a scheme to help unemployed parents get back into work, this course is the one found by my advisor and is free so it is the one I have to do) So can anyone recommend a good book on child development? I am looking for one aimed at early year professionals/ students, so quite academic. Any help would be much appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Sofizzy Tue 02-Oct-18 20:33:41

Anything by Penny Tassoni will be good. But what is the course that you are doing? It might be good, but I'm not sure that any free courses will give you a full and relevant qualification.

itsaboojum Wed 03-Oct-18 19:13:44

Could you tell us the course title and 'level' please?

TBH I doubt you'll find anything truly academic to be of use in a childcare course. They tend to use a mish-mash of received wisdom on child development theories, blended into an almost meaningless whole that happens to suit current trends and public policy.

Tassoni's writing will almost certainly get you through most entry-level childcare courses, mainly because it is exceptionally bland and non-academic and shifts with the changes in fashion.

horizonglimmer Sat 06-Oct-18 17:43:16

@sofizzy and @itsaboojum it's a level 3 diploma for children's care, learning and development. It will enable me to gain employment in Wales. The course is free to me, but the Welsh Government is paying for it. Part of a scheme to help the unemployed gain employment. I'm not so much looking for a book to help me through the course, but rather to help me learn and inform my practice. I was thinking of the sort of thing that would be on reading lists for a degree in Early Years studies?

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 06-Oct-18 17:53:27

Anything by Margot Sunderland, especially ‘What every parent needs to know’/ ‘The Science of Parenting’ (different editions of the same book - I can’t remember which is the current one).

coffeekittens Thu 11-Oct-18 09:22:12

Penny Tassoni, Early Years Educator would be a good book for you as that’s what’s used when teaching level 3 childcare (or early years educator as the qualification is now called) in colleges. The framework in the book is all up to date and it’s broken down into simple to understand sentences.

horizonglimmer Thu 11-Oct-18 16:33:48

Thanks!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in