Talk

Advanced search

Child starting nursery with allergies, where do I stand?

(6 Posts)
thisisnew Mon 04-Jun-18 18:20:07

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone had had any experience with this. My DS is starting nursery next week and has a few allergies. They've asked me to let them know what on the food menu he can and can't have, which I'm obviously happy to do. But then should I be expecting them to make special things up for him instead if he can't have what's on the menu? Or should I bring in versions he can have so he doesn't miss out? But then the issue is the £5 a day extra for food I have to pay, I don't know where I would stand with this if he is either missing out on big parts of the meal, or I'm having to bring in food myself for him.
Would really appreciate any insight from anyone that's been in a similar situation.

OP’s posts: |
Xmasbaby11 Mon 04-Jun-18 21:05:11

That's quite shocking you have to pay more for his food. Ime they cater for any allergies and preferences such as halal and do not charge extra. My dd doesn't have allergies but several children did and they incorporated it without any fuss.

I think I'd look at other childcare if you can.

CountFosco Mon 04-Jun-18 21:10:48

DS had food allergies. Nursery were fab, they made sure his allergies were catered for and when they did baking with his year group they changed the recipes to make them dairy and egg free so he could participate. The only thing we had to supply was suitable milk for him to drink but that would be the same for all children.

thisisnew Tue 05-Jun-18 07:28:38

Ok great thanks for your help! I did think it seemed like they should be the ones to cater for him but I didn't want to assume.

OP’s posts: |
Acorncat Wed 06-Jun-18 22:19:52

Of the 2 nurseries I used one provided everything at no extra cost and just adapted the meal and the other got me to provide milk, bread and pudding. It would have been nice to get a discount from the fees but it just doesn’t work like that it seems. You shouldn’t have to specify what foods they can and can’t eat apart from the allergen, surely it’s their job to figure out they can eat. There’s so many alternative foods now that they should be able to make very similar meals.

Twofishfingers Sat 09-Jun-18 16:13:01

It's a private business. It's not a school. Each facility will have its own policy but they cannot discriminate against a child with allergies.

Would you have to pay extra £5 if they make something special for him? or is it £5 for any meal and everyone has to pay for it? Do you still have to pay the £5 if you send in a packed lunch?

I used to be a childminder and catered very easily for children with allergies as when they were here, I would have dairy free/egg free/nut free meals. Or pork free to cater for religious requirements, or vegetarian and then every child had the same. I don't think a larger nursery can sustain that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in