Talk

Advanced search

How often do you take your child out of nursery

(15 Posts)
glittergoat Tue 01-May-18 11:11:26

DD nearly four is in nursery 3 days a week, more for social reasons as we are also lucky enough to have a nanny at home with DS. I have a couple of days off next week when nanny is away, would it be daft to not send DD to nursery ? She likes but doesn’t love it so would definitely prefer to be at home, but DH thinks I’m daft not to send her if we’ve paid

OP’s posts: |
HSMMaCM Tue 01-May-18 12:25:55

You won't save any money if you send her or not. They're only little once, so spend the time with her if you want to.

TeaBelle Tue 01-May-18 12:27:05

I have no issues with taking dd (3.5) out for holidays, family days, special activities, anything really

RoughPatchMum Tue 01-May-18 13:03:49

My DS goes to nursery 4 days a week and has the 5th day with his grandparents. I take him out whenever I want to - holiday, extra day off work etc. I never think about oh I’ve paid for it - I just think of it as a fixed monthly cost I incur whatever.

IWantMyHatBack Tue 01-May-18 13:04:30

Whenever I feel like it, it's not school..

PinkHeart5914 Tue 01-May-18 13:07:30

They are only little once so yes if mine were at nursery I’d have no problem taking them out for some family time

Tumbleweed101 Tue 01-May-18 13:14:44

I kept mine home if I wanted time with them. There is no requirement for them to attend but give the nursery a call to let them know as it helps with ratio planning.

Celticlassie Wed 02-May-18 09:44:14

I take DD out whenever I (or DH) have a day off. She likes nursery, but I'd rather she was with us than in nursery. She's only 1 though - I think of she was 4 I'd keep her in more to get used to school.

ISeeTheLight Wed 02-May-18 10:08:21

I work full-time so whenever I had a day off DD would be taken out off nursery too.

ikeepaforkinmypurse Wed 02-May-18 14:15:18

I don't understand working parents who don't take their kids out of nursery when they have a rare day off. Up to them, but why wouldn't you want to spend a day with your own child? Of course, this doesn't apply if you have doctor appointments and so on when you don't want to drag the child.

As a working mum, you rarely see your kids as it is, why on earth wouldn't you want to grab some time for a day with them.

Bear2014 Wed 02-May-18 14:20:05

Our DD aged 4 is in nursery 3 days too and we kept them even though I'm on maternity leave. She's off this week as we're in Center Parcs. We take her out a few weeks per year and probably one ad hoc day per month, in addition to their 2 week summer holiday. As pp have said it's not school.

I also have no issues with putting her in so we can do house jobs - it's the only way to get anything done.

namechanger14 Wed 02-May-18 14:27:15

depends on the age and what u would actually be doing.

If she's very young and u are going to plan an activity like a family day out etc, then I would take her out. But if she's starting school in September or she younger but ur not planning on doing anything but veg round the house then no I wouldn't.
As u have a nanny for it other child would u be releasing her for the day as well? As I think I'd find it unfair (on my kids) if 1 was off nursery & had my full attention all day but the other 1 was still be looked after by some1 else.

Also, it would depend on my work pattern. If I was home at a reasonable time (ie got to spend some time with them evening and weekends) or worked part time and was with them on dds non nursery days then no I wouldn't, and would take the rare opportunity to have a bit of 'me' time. If I was working full time and not seeing them other than the madness of getting them ready in the morning and bed at night, then I would probably take 1 day for myself and the rest for the kids.

xx

namechanger14 Wed 02-May-18 14:31:07

Sorry misread ur OP, so disregard the nanny part.
She's starting reception in September? Then no I wouldn't as she will be 1 of the youngest and from experience (my dd has a June birthday) it is harder on the younger 1s, so more focus is put on making sure they are school ready.
I might consider 1 day off nursery if my work pattern meant I was not seeing the kids much.
xx

hibbledibble Thu 03-May-18 20:05:30

If she is nearly 4, then surely she is getting the 30 free hours (or at least 15)? So therefore you aren't paying for her nursery place, or only paying for a small amount.

I would keep her off whenever you want to.

IWantMyHatBack Thu 03-May-18 22:38:36

Haha. I get the 30 hours free but 2.5 days of childcare still costs me £200 a month.

I still take my child out whenever I can take leave and do fun things with him. He'll be at school soon and it won't be so easy (although I don't think the odd day or two makes much difference there either tbh)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in