Talk

Advanced search

Nursery to Reception

(6 Posts)
Tanyamberny Tue 05-Dec-17 15:09:15

Hi, can't decide about the nursery for my 3.y.o. Would you enroll a child to a preschool that offers 30 hrs and later to a different reception? The other preschool has only 15h/w but that's the school I want him to attend. Taking in mind he won't be familiar with the school, pupils..any advice pls?

MaisyPops Tue 05-Dec-17 15:11:45

I'm no expert but in some of the schools round here being in the school nursery doesn't ensure entry into reception in the school.
With that in mind (unless your school does feed through) I'd go for whichever arrangement suits your family.

It'd be nice to take the same friends through but to be honest, I'm not sure how much of an issue it is knowing other kids for another 8 months or so.

RestingGrinchFace Tue 05-Dec-17 15:12:27

The prep school we've chosen doesn't offer nursery so we've sent of son to a nursery attached t a different school. In many ways it's been good because the settling in period from home to nursery environment has been a bit fraught (and a really big change to be fair). A part of me thinks that it's better that he starts school with a clean slate.

mindutopia Thu 07-Dec-17 11:16:02

Do you need him to be in 30 hours because you're working? If you need the full 30 hours, yes, I would go for the preschool offering the full 30 hours. I don't think it matters that much if they are already attached to the school. Mine went to a private nursery that fed into 3 different village schools. Only 2 other children from her nursery went to the same school, so most children she didn't know. It was absolutely fine and actually it was a bonus, I think, that she had the opportunity to meet new friends and have a different social circle rather than coming in with a group of children she already knew.

Tanyamberny Thu 07-Dec-17 13:25:38

Thanks all for advice, it helped me decide.

jannier Thu 07-Dec-17 14:38:19

Once he is in school will you need childcare for holidays and before and after school? If so I would look for a childminder who can take the other 15 hours and get used to him so that once he gos full time you don't have to look for another setting for out of school. he will then be with his friends going into school and it will be a smoother transition to full day school,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now