Talk

Advanced search

WWYD increasing hours during mat leave

(13 Posts)
Stickaforkinimdone Sun 15-Oct-17 13:23:25

My 3 year old has been going to the same nursery for just over a year, he does 3 half day sessions and has been very settled and happy there

I'm now on mat leave but we also qualify for the 30hours funding. The nursery have said we can, if we like, have him do a couple of full days per week (it would be 9-4) which would be on the days I don't have any other help around

On one hand I think this would be a great idea because it would give me chance to do some activities with the newborn etc, however I also feel really guilty about putting him in for full days when I'm at home 😕
I worry that 9-4 is such a long time away from me but equally loads of children are in full time day care from a very early age and are absolutely fine

Wwyd in this situation?!

Littlestgirlguide25 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:28:18

I'd take the hours and make the most of the time with your youngest.
Your eldest wouldn't have to be very much older to be in full time school while you are at home with the baby; nobody would feel guilty about that.

jannier Sun 15-Oct-17 14:06:31

I would seriously consider the reaction of your eldest depending on the due date. Its a big change having a new sibling competing for mummies attention you could be making it worse if lo feels pushed out, often more of an issue is getting any 1 to 1 with the eldest and they loose the bond with mummy who is always tied up with baby. Ive worked with lots of children who have had issues even going to grandparents they normally want to spend time with.

HSMMaCM Sun 15-Oct-17 16:50:50

As Jannier said, just keep an eye on him. Most children I've cared for in similar situations have loved being with their friends, instead of the boring baby. Make sure he has some social time too and point out he had 1:1 time with mummy when he was a baby, if he questions the fairness.

He will probably be fine, but do listen to his feelings in case he's not.

HSMMaCM Sun 15-Oct-17 16:51:13

Special time, not social time!

Bluesandrose Sun 15-Oct-17 17:00:16

You have to be careful with this as you don't want your 3yo to feel pushed out when new baby arrives.
It's better to involve him/her with new baby as much as possible.
And full time nusery is a bit much regardless IMO.

Stickaforkinimdone Sun 15-Oct-17 17:01:54

Thanks all

The baby is already here but is only a couple of weeks old; so far so good in terms of acceptance by the older one! I may increase the hours and just see how he goes for a few weeks-can always reduce it if things don't work out

As you say, I don't want him to feel pushed out but equally I don't want him to be bored and under stimulated when I'm sat here just feeding like crazy 😆

Stickaforkinimdone Sun 15-Oct-17 17:04:03

Blues he wouldn't be there fulltime though-it would only be 2 days in the week when he's there 9-4 then he'd do one other morning on top of that

The rest of the time he'd be with me and other family

insancerre Sun 15-Oct-17 17:07:46

Do you have your code for the 30 hours?
If not then you won't be able to claim the hours till January

Rockandrollwithit Sun 15-Oct-17 17:13:38

I have a newborn and a three year old DS who goes to nursery 9-3 everyday using the 30 free hours.

It's been absolutely fine, I just make sure we get some special alone time together every evening once DH has come home.

Stickaforkinimdone Sun 15-Oct-17 17:15:54

Yes I already have my code

Stickaforkinimdone Sun 15-Oct-17 17:17:14

Thanks @Rockandrollwithit that's helpful to know-just want to make sure we get the balance right!

Timefor2 Wed 18-Oct-17 03:34:03

Mind is doing 2.5 days while I have some 1-2-1 time with the newborn and it's working well for us. Could you increase the day one at a time until he's used to it perhaps?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: