Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nursery : does it get any easier?

(7 Posts)
Mittens92 Mon 02-Oct-17 22:43:19

My 1 year old son started nursery for the first time today as I am back at uni, and apparently he kept crying and when I picked him up he was crying really bad he vomited his food everywhere 😩 I know they're doing a really good job with him but this is making me really upset seeing him like that and I am feeling guilty for putting him in there in the first place! I really miss him as well.. I am at uni until May but please tell me it gets easier? I am doing this for our future, but seeing him like that really broke my heart.

BackforGood Mon 02-Oct-17 23:22:28

Have you not done any 'settling in' times ?

Many dc find a complete change from what they have known unsettling for a while. The overwhelming majority soon get to understand Nursery is a lovely place and that Mum will be back soon, at the end of the day.

Mittens92 Mon 02-Oct-17 23:25:51

@BackforGood yes we did a couple of settling in sessions and he went a bit funny the second time cos all the babies were crying but once he had milk he was absolutely fine. I just hope he doesn't get upset tomorrow like he was today sad

calamityjam Mon 02-Oct-17 23:40:16

I used to run a baby room, so I have settled a few babies in. They always have a period of adjustment, which is different for every child. Your child it around this age is realising that he is a separate person to you and part of forming good attachments is learning that his mummy will return. He will soon get into a routine and its a good age to start. The older they are when you first leave them it can be harder for the both of you to adjust to the new routine. Keep reminding yourself that you are doing this for a better future for both of you and in doing so you are building his resilience to transition which will only be a positive for future transitions. Good luck with uni op, I have just started my dissertation and believe me you will need time to yourself when the assignments are coming in thick and fast! What are you studying ?

Mittens92 Mon 02-Oct-17 23:42:46

@calamityjam thanks so much hun that really does put my mind at ease! I think he is going to be ok.. maybe just me missing him so much but like you said with the dissertation as well as assignments coming in at every angle, I am going to need all the time I can get! I am studying Health and Social. What about you? This is my final year too, so I have a dissertation to do as well! Have you chosen a topic yet?

calamityjam Mon 02-Oct-17 23:50:46

I'm glad I could be of some help. I'm doing BA working with children and families and applying for PGCE early years next year. I'm doing my dissertation on investigating what nurseries are doing to improve school readiness in 4/5 year olds. How about you?

Mittens92 Mon 09-Oct-17 06:46:19

@calamityjam sorry for late reply hun and I still haven't got any idea about what to write! I am going to try and get some research done today x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now