Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - moving houses & changing nurseries

(6 Posts)
Azure83 Mon 02-Oct-17 17:08:05

We've been living in a rented flat while saving for a house. We had an offer accepted and will be moving into our new home in December. I am due to go back to work Mon -Wed in January so ds will be almost 13mo. We live in SE London and nurseries around here get booked up a year in advance so had to secure a place somewhere, knowing that we might move by then. We reserved a space in a lovely nurse close to our rented flat. But, our new home is one train station along or a 10 min drive with no trafic. There is a nice nursery close to our 'new' train station but there is a waiting list so a space will be available around Sept - Oct 2018. So, would you:

Start at the current nursery as planned ...

...and live with it if ds is happy and settles well?

...and switch to the local one when space becomes available?

The problem is, Dh would have to drive to drop off in the mornings, I'd do pick up and drive back home after work. In London rush hour trafic that might get tiring for everyone involved very quickly. Also, what would be the impact of changing nurseries at 21-22m once settled in?

Or, another option would be to find a local childminder until the local nursery has spaces.

OP’s posts: |
HSMMaCM Tue 03-Oct-17 08:12:42

If you can find a local CM or nanny then I would do that and then you can decide whether you still want to change in September.

mindutopia Tue 03-Oct-17 10:02:58

I would put your name on at the new nursery and keep your options open and see how it goes. You'll have to go through another settling in period, which might mean an unsettled month or two at the new nursery, but children are much more flexible than we give them credit for and he will likely be fine.

We will be in the same situation with our 2nd. We have a lovely nursery that is about a 5 minute drive from our house. Our dd went there for 4 years (now school age). I'm pregnant now and we aim to start this baby there around 12 months. But we plan to move sometime during my first year back to work (so roughly 4-12 months after starting nursery). The move will take us about 1.5 hours away (closer to my work), so no chance of staying in the same nursery. But you have to do what you have to do. They really do adjust.

I would see how you feel though and decide once you find out a place is available. You may find the commute isn't a big deal and you love the first nursery, or you might be grateful for the change. Personally, I think do whatever makes mornings and afternoons easier as it can be stressful and rushed enough as it is.

Yerazig Tue 03-Oct-17 14:15:05

Would you be able to afford a temp nanny. You could use a nanny until September the switch over to a nursery. And always handy to keep in contact with the nanny, as you could use her for evening babysitting afterwards. I personally if the nursery is good enough use the local one and sign up asap.

jannier Tue 03-Oct-17 14:24:11

I would find a local cm who might actually surprise you in providing wonderful leaning experience's Ive had many families say they wish they had used a cm for their first children. We work to the same standards and are often better trained than the nursery staff including having degrees. Many work with assistants or apprentices and some alongside other child-minders,

HSMMaCM Tue 03-Oct-17 15:40:50

Jannier 👍 - that was why I suggested a CM, or nanny, who may end up continuing after September.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in