Talk

Advanced search

School is pushing DS to not start reception at the age of 4

(10 Posts)
amijan Wed 05-Jul-17 22:37:45

I have a happy 4 year old and he has been going to a private school pre-prep. He had some challenge with his Speech and Language and has been attending SLT etc. He can write his name, have understanding of Phonics, read simple things like of, the, will, me etc, has basic communication skills, Toilet trained etc.
The school is saying he is not ready to start reception and should do the pre-prep class again, I feel its a bit unfair! Does anyone has any experience? Thanks

leccybill Wed 05-Jul-17 22:49:14

He's miles ahead of many 4 year olds in state schools then.
My DD began Reception not being able to read and she was still having regular accidents (bladder issue later diagnosed).
What do you suspect the biggest concern is?

BrieOnAnOatcake Wed 05-Jul-17 22:52:20

Maybe the preprep is trying to weed him out. I'd be suspicious if they were the right school

A state school would certainly manage as he sounds completely normal!!

amijan Wed 05-Jul-17 23:12:39

They think he can not communicate very clearly and does not follow full instructions. Now the question is do I push him one year behind or not. He is June born so will lose out like 6 months

amijan Fri 07-Jul-17 09:27:15

Mums - any other thoughts would be very helpful for me!

Littlefish Fri 07-Jul-17 12:16:16

I would strongly consider looking at a good state school to send him to.

I would be very wary of sending any child with known additional needs to a private school. If they are already saying that he should repeat a year, I would be concerned about him even starting at that school, and then being "managed out" at some point in the future.

Is it a selective school? What age does it go up to?

At the end of the day, it will be the school's choice. If they say he needs to repeat the pre-prep year then I think that the choice will be to go with their decision, or go elsewhere.

Char22thom Sat 08-Jul-17 12:47:48

It nay be the school trying to be selective but may also be them trying to tell you he isn't ready. If I had the choice I would want my child to stay at preschool for another year, they will get school experience the year afterwards x

amijan Sun 09-Jul-17 16:05:12

This school starts at 3 and goes till 11. It is very much a possibility that they are trying to push him out! which is not very inclusive !!!

jannier Tue 11-Jul-17 12:38:56

Change schools they don't seem to want him or your money,

NerrSnerr Tue 11-Jul-17 13:36:25

I would look at another school. It sounds like they are trying to push him out. I'm guessing private schools don't have to be massively inclusive when they have people willing to pay for the places, one person leaves and someone else pays to fill their place.

I'd give your LEA a call as if he's due in reception this year you've missed the applications for state school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now