Talk

Advanced search

Prevent Duty - babies

(12 Posts)
ACubed Wed 31-May-17 20:08:55

Hi there, was after bit of advice for any practitioners. I think we're due an Oftsed again soon and I want to swot up with my colleagues in the baby room. I will speak to manager and request training, but just wanted to see if anyone had any tips.
Could you please let me know what the prevent duty means in terms of babies? All I really have so far is to look out for change of behaviour in children, and be alert if children are 'at risk', but I've not been able to find what 'at risk' really means. I know the undertones of this policy are pretty racist in my opinion but have to tow the line.
Any feedback would be really appreciated.
thanks.

Acopyofacopy Wed 31-May-17 20:14:20

I know this is not a laughing matter, but how can babies be radicalised? confused

I think your focus needs to be on parents/carers at that age.

ACubed Wed 31-May-17 20:17:30

I know it is sort of funny! It's just so vague as they can't really say "look out for any orthodox muslims"...just want to know what to say when we get inspected.

ScarletSienna Wed 31-May-17 20:18:19

The focus is likely to be on your general safeguarding policies for babies and reporting anything regarding home life concerns (rather than investigating iyswim).

ScarletSienna Wed 31-May-17 20:19:15

So they'll check they know the policies and procedures for safeguarding.

ACubed Wed 31-May-17 20:22:09

Ah thanks Sienna that makes sense.

ScarletSienna Wed 31-May-17 20:24:40

Toddlers upwards they'll ask. It is hard to think of how to make it age appropriate. This shows how it doesn't have to be though!
www.henrysblog.co.uk/2014/08/teaching-british-values-to-toddlers-the-easy-way/

Coloursthatweremyjoy Wed 31-May-17 20:27:18

The prevent training I did was pretty clear that someone being a devout or orthodox Muslim wasn't a problem.

With babies your focus is on the parents. So a parent who displays a prejudice against a certain group of people and has mentioned links to fundamentalist groups. Perhaps they are ex military or their dad is a farmer with access to guns...you see where it's heading?

To be honest no OFSTED inspection is going to focus on preventing radicalisation when they are talking to staff in a baby room...

ACubed Wed 31-May-17 20:43:35

Thanks for the replies. Do any parents mention links to fundamentalist groups?!
Hopefully they won't grill us, but the latest news is that they ask all staff about Prevent and FGM.
Anyway, cheers this is all very helpful.

ACubed Wed 31-May-17 20:44:41

Ha just read your link Sienna, I dig.

insancerre Wed 31-May-17 21:00:14

I'm a nursery manager and we had our inspection in December
As far as prevent goes, the inspector will want to know that you are aware of it and that your nursery safeguarding policy has been updated to include it
We have a prevent duty risk assessment for the nursery that names a designated person as having responsibility for training and referrals, its the safeguarding officer
I have also made sure all staff have done the online prevent duty training course, and I've done the one on FGM
Our safeguarding policy has also been updated to include FGM as a safeguarding concern
The inspector will want to know you know to look out for signs of radicalization in children and their families, which could be chant s in behaviour, comments made or periods of absence from nursery.
You also need to be aware that radicalization is not just limited to Islamic extremists, it could be a far right neo Nazi
Fundamental British values should be evident in your everyday practice, things like letting children make choices and having a voice

As far as I recall, the inspector didn't specifically ask about the prevent duty re babies but she did question the member of staff from the baby room about her understanding of the prevent duty and who she would go to if she had any concerns

ACubed Thu 01-Jun-17 07:16:40

great thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now