Talk

Advanced search

Is my DS's nursery good enough??

(7 Posts)
Middayblue Wed 31-May-17 12:01:47

I'm a new mum, my DS is under 6 months old and he is settling in his nursery as I am going back to work soon. My concerns are various since he's started (only a few days):

-Unlike what I heard previously from them, the nursery has not cared for such a young baby in two years.
-his key person seems caring but not very experienced/knowlegeable about baby's development or feeding. This seems to apply to other members of staff caring for him (in conversations with me they have claimed things about feeding, etc that are widly off NHS/WHO recommentations).
-I saw another (older) child settling in who cried for hours and, at least when I could see, his main carer did not comfort him with a hug or any affection. This person looked after him well enough, but I thought he was desperate for a hug...It left me feeling a bit unsettled sad

I am thinking about moving my child to another nursery, what would you do in my place? confused

DearMrDilkington Wed 31-May-17 12:04:17

I'd move him.

BackforGood Wed 31-May-17 12:13:09

It is difficult leaving your precious little bundle for the first time.

If he is the only baby in the baby room, then you can be quite clear about your expectations, without them having to balance view of different parents, so that could be an advantage.

How was it that you were sitting watching another child for several hours? a) that you were sitting there watching, and b) that - if it were initial settling that he was there "for hours" rather than some circumstance that you didn't know about. It is perfectly possible (and obviously I don't know this child either) that he is not comforted by a cuddle - just a thought.

TeenagersandFurbabies Wed 31-May-17 12:13:51

I'd move him as well otherwise you are going to worry yourself crazy whenever you leave him there.

cookielove Wed 31-May-17 12:14:15

I would move him!

Middayblue Wed 31-May-17 13:45:02

Thank you all for the messages.

I do feel like moving him, precisely because of what TeenagersandFurbabies says.

Backforgood, you're right, the fact that he is the only baby might be an advantage. Today he was taken around the whole nursery as everyone wanted to meet the new baby, which to my mind is a nice thing. It's the fact that it's relatively long since another baby was there that I'm not sure I like. It means less experienced carers, doesn't it?

I was sitting there for almost four hours as nursery asked me to stay with DS for the morning session on first settling in day (I think this is a bit more than what they do for older children). The older child was in his first day after having done his settling in. I saw quite a bit of him (but not all the time I was there). But you're right, I don't know the child and he might not be easily comforted with a cuddle and, also, I did not see all their interactions... I realise I have a partial view, but cannot help the uneasiness. confused

PlugUgly1980 Thu 01-Jun-17 05:21:51

The key thing for me is whether you actually asked about whether they have cared for a baby so young before enrolling him? If you asked directly and they lied and you only found out at the settling in session then this would be an issue for me. In my opinion you have to be able to absolutely trust the nursery with your children. If they lied about this, what else would they lie about? Bumps, bruises, sleep, eating, etc...? It would make me very cautious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now