Talk

Advanced search

Tv at nursery

(8 Posts)
Cathays Thu 20-Apr-17 13:48:19

Is it normal for children to watch tv at nursery?

My DS, just over 2, has recently switched days at his nursery and I know they have many more children on this day than the previous day. He has found this adjustment difficult and has been reluctant to go to nursery, having loved it previously. He came home this week saying he watched 'Peppa Pig on the telly at nursery' and I'm a bit hmm because although I'm not hugely anti tv, I do limit it at home and I'm just really not sure why he needs to be watching it at nursery?

I know they watched a few tv versions of the books they had brought in for book week a few weeks ago but this feels different. He has never watched Peppa Pig before in his life, and didn't know it was a tv programme until this week.

I don't know whether to bring it up with the nursery or if I'm being a bit pfb.

FineAsWeAre Thu 20-Apr-17 22:26:39

I would ask them. It's ok to use tv in nurseries but it shouldn't be used as a 'holding' activity e.g. to keep the children occupied while staff clean up. They may use it as an occasional treat or it may have been for a topic they were doing. Peppa Pig is only about 5 minutes an episode so if it was just one or two I wouldn't mind personally but if I was you I'd just ask them to clarify their policy on it x

MissJSays Fri 21-Apr-17 20:21:53

We have 15-20 minutes of TV time as a treat every Friday. At the moment it's been paw patrol as the children all love it and it encourages problem solving. As long as it's it not every day and for a short period of time then I don't see it as a problem.

HSMMaCM Sat 22-Apr-17 08:34:57

I watched paw patrol with some of the children after lunch one day this week. They then spent the whole afternoon being paw patrol characters. Great for their imaginative phat. It definitely shouldn't be used as lazy childcare, but tv can be used effectively.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sat 22-Apr-17 08:38:33

They had Mr Tumble at DS's nursery when they were teaching the kids Macaton.
Better there than at my house. Annoying man.

HRHTiggyD Sat 22-Apr-17 09:47:10

We used to watch Something Special at my nursery. We wanted to show children who had a different level of ability to our children, to answer questions etc.

TV can be used as an effective and useful learning tool.

Cathays Sat 22-Apr-17 19:53:10

That's really good to know, thanks all. I will find out how much is being watched and when. If it's the basis for an activity I don't mind, just not as a holding activity. A bit surprised as it is not mentioned in his "what we did today" notes.

HSMMaCM Sat 22-Apr-17 20:46:22

The what he did today might be the activity around the tv program. I'm sure they don't list every step to everything he does.

Definitely have a quick chat though, to see how tv is used if it's a concern to you. They won't mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now