Advanced search

SEN Neglect

(26 Posts)
Elizabeth2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 14:42:10

I just wanted some advice on complaining about my Son’s nursery.

To cut a long story short; he has a speech delay and I have raised this as a concern with his nursery since August. At the time they told me not to worry and said his speech would come in time.

My son is now 2 ½ and I feel like he has regressed. I called a meeting with the Nursery Manager and the Nursery Director to raise my concerns again. When I asked to see my Son’s folder; which they refused to show me at first, I was horrified to see that after 14 months at the nursery he had no more that 15 observations in his folder and not a mention of any of his speech concerns I had raised.

The nursery called me back the next day for a follow up where they presented me with a load more paper work which had apparently been locked in someone’s drawer on the day of the previous meeting. When looking closer at the paperwork when I got home I realised there were so many discrepancies. Making me believe they had completed all of this after our first meeting.

They told me they had referred my Son to a SENCO and were waiting for a response. Conveniently, the day after our meeting the nursery said their deputy manager is SENCO and provided me with a EHC Assessment with apparently had been completed 3 months ago. It even had comments that I had apparently contributed to the assessment, even though I was never even told this has happened.

They quite clearly are forging a load of paperwork to cover their backs. While my Son’s development continues to suffer.

What should I do? I am reporting this to Ofsted. Surely I can take them to court for deliberately neglecting my Son’s Educational needs?

ASDismynormality Mon 10-Apr-17 14:46:57

Is he seeing a speech therapist? Had he seen a paed?
When you have a child with SEN you have to be really proactive.

I do agree you should report to Ofstead regarding the paperwork forgery.

Owllady Mon 10-Apr-17 14:51:31

I don't think you've got any legal case really. I don't even understand how much of a responsibility the nursery has for referrals etc as it used to be the case that you would raise the issues as a parent with your GP and HV.

If you are unhappy with the nursery you could always look elsewhere with his needs in mind.

CheeseCakeSunflowers Mon 10-Apr-17 14:58:22

It does sound like the nursery may well be falsifying records so reporting this to ofstead does sound appropriate. What steps have you taken to get medical help for his speech delay as this is more of a parents responsibility than nursery's. Have you spoken to your health visitor or GP, they would be the best place to start.

HeyRoly Mon 10-Apr-17 15:05:27

By all means submit a complaint about their shoddy record keeping, but it's not their fault that you feel your son has regressed or that his development is suffering. If he needs an assessment/therapy then you need to get the ball rolling, not the nursery (although they can help get the ball rolling, granted).

It sounds like you want to blame nursery for your son's lack of progress, and that's unfair.

Elizabeth2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:07:25

I have been asking for him to be referred to a speech therapist and they told me that we need to wait and see if his speech comes. I was going by their professional recommendation when they were telling me that he was fine. On going to my GP and being referred to a speech therapist straight away I realised the nursery had been fobbing me off.

littleducks Mon 10-Apr-17 15:08:19

Are they claiming to have made a request for a statutory assessment for an EHC plan?

You can contact the local authority to clarify if this has been made. You would have needed to sign paperwork. If this is forged it is a big deal.

Elizabeth2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:10:12

@HeyRoly I am not trying to blame the nursery. As a first time mum I have been going to them for months, distressed and asking them what I need to do. I didn't know how to get the ball rolling! They kept telling me not to worry and that his speech will come. Only when I have gone and spoken to other professionals, they have magically completed a load of paperwork related to his speech.

Owllady Mon 10-Apr-17 15:10:12

They sound rubbish.
Does anywhere else have space?

littleducks Mon 10-Apr-17 15:10:52

Contact your HV who may have a better idea about referrals and care pathways and any drop ins or children centre activities to improve Speech for early years than your GP

Elizabeth2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:12:28

@littleducks they have given me an EHC that was apparently completed in January. I contacted the local authorities and they said this was only registered with them on Friday 7th April. (The day of my meeting with them. The form they completed in "January" has comments from me but of course as I was not aware of this it has not been signed by me

EdenX Mon 10-Apr-17 15:12:46

Your GP or health visitor can refer to a speech therapist, a private nursery can't. They can give you their advice and opinions but really that is up to you and your health care providers.

15 observations sounds fine to me. The nursery don't have to make any written observations

Sounds like you don't like the nursery though so I would move him somewhere else.

EdenX Mon 10-Apr-17 15:14:52

What is the EHC you are referring to and who is it being registered with? Does your DS have diagnosed SEN?

ASDismynormality Mon 10-Apr-17 15:15:51

It sounds as if the nursery don't have proper protocols in place and panicked - hence the EHC application. Your HV will definitely have a better idea of who to turn to for help.
See if you can find another nursery for your child - the paperwork forgery would make me lose faith in them.

ASDismynormality Mon 10-Apr-17 15:17:17

Also it's is highly unlikely your son will be awarded and EHC plan so seems like the nursery have applied just to look like they are being proactive.

Elizabeth2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:18:39

This is not me "not liking the nursery" there are so many more issues I haven't even got into just because I want to know the requirements on the speech issue. I have not even mentioned that they have given my son egg despite him having an allergy, that they have claimed they fed my son but he appeared starving like he hadn't eaten, that when I was waiting for my meeting I observed my son doing his own thing and no one even saying hello to him or engaging for 30 mins. And also me witnessing one of the key workers encouraging him to stroke her chest as he "has an obsession with skin".

So please don't tell me I am being unfair on the nursery. I am distressed enough from this whole situation and I just wanted some advice. Mother to Mother.

Elizabeth2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:20:07

I will speak with my HV. Thank you to those that have advised this. I am looking for new nursery's too

Msqueen33 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:21:08

My dd has autism and ADHD. When she was in nursery they were useless. I got her seen via the Gp and applied for her ehcp. The nursery were barely involved. Needless to say with my second dd who also has autism she's not at the same place but it is your responsibility to get things moving.

2014newme Mon 10-Apr-17 15:22:02

They sound bad. I wouldn't say there
However its you as the parent who needsto sort the speech help. Have you had ears tested, been to go or speech therapist or areyou hoping someone else will do all that? Guess what, they won't. You need to step up.

Owllady Mon 10-Apr-17 15:22:19

Trust your gut feeling x

EdenX Mon 10-Apr-17 15:22:45

Is there another nursery or childminder you can send him to?

I agree with ASD that a 2 year old with a speech delay who hasn't even been assesses by a professional yet won't get an ehcp (if that is what the nursery are saying they have applied for) so very odd of them to do that.

littleducks Mon 10-Apr-17 15:32:56

Maybe start a seperate thread to get info and advice about his Speech.

I think some posters are being unnecessarily harsh. Referral processes vary from area to area. Where I work the private nursery SENCO can access advice and if necessary refer for an assessment. The neighbouring borough doesn't allow any preschool refers unless the child attends a triage drop in.

Msqueen33 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:23:07

Our nursery could access stuff but couldn't be bothered. In the end we left as they just couldn't be bothered. Thankfully we found somewhere so much better.

Head to the Gp and ask for a hearing test, then ask for a referral to a paed and speech.

insancerre Mon 10-Apr-17 20:46:28

Nurseries can make referrals to the speech therapist
I've done it many times

Op, I think you need to remove your child
This nursery don't have a clue
Ring the speech therapist and ask them to recommend a good nursery where your child will get the supper he needs
The therapists go into nursery so will know which ones are good

Kanga59 Thu 13-Apr-17 22:39:24

You need an EYSENIT. ask your gp or hv for a referral asap.

you also need to take responsibility for your child's development or lack thereof and make sure you are driving everything.

how do you communicate with him at home?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: