Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Injuries...normal/not normal?

(8 Posts)
TessyFew Tue 04-Apr-17 21:14:21

I picked my 14 month old up from nursery today and was greeted with 2 accident forms. Never a nice thing.

Shes just learning to walk so we're obviously getting a lot of bumps atm. The first injury was apparently her trying to sit in a basket of toys (new random thing) and it was full of blocks. She slipped and bumped her head and grazedoesn't her chin.

The second one, they were all in the garden and she slipped and bit her tongue. Got covered in blood and was still teary when I picked her up.

She looks like she's been in war rather than a day at nursery and i was really sad for her looking all bruised and beaten.

Nursery is still relatively new for us so just wanted to get a view of the reliable MN clan. Is this all normal??

Hamiltoes Tue 04-Apr-17 21:18:00

Perfectly normal yes. If your child is anything like mines they will look constantly in the wars until at least 7.

And then their knees and shins will be constantly bruised.

If they are just learning to toddle there will be much more to come, my dd had a near constant egg on her head at that age. The nursery did phone me if it was a particularly bad one so I wasn't shocked when I picked her up. They're very robust little things though, I wouldn't worry unless it was every single day smile

PlugUgly1980 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:41:41

Completely normal! I have a 3 year old and 15 month old, both been in nursery since 9 months. Loads of accident forms for bumped heads or falls. Bitten lips and tongues often happen when they fall. I went through a phase recently when LO was just starting to get confident toddling about where nearly every night I picked him up we had a form. It's reassuring they report any accidents correctly. The ladies at our nursery can almost always tell you exactly what happened, what treatment was given, etc. Very occasionally they'll report a bruise or mark that they didn't see happen or wasn't cried over. I'm quite laid back in that I like active play and running around outside etc. so accept bumps and bruises etc happen as part of this. Life would be dull if they were completely wrapped up in cotton wool. I guess I'd be worried if I felt nursery weren't supervising well enough or not reporting accidents, etc. so if you're not happy mention it to the key worker maybe.

HappyTalking Tue 04-Apr-17 22:34:37

Totally normal especially for a child who has just started walking.
it is a part of growing up and allowing them to be active and make mistakes can help them to be able to assess their own risks as they get older.

TessyFew Wed 05-Apr-17 09:33:59

She's very active which is great and what we encourage so I guess I just need to set myself up for more of the same. And thanks @plug they always seem to know every little detail about what happened which is reassuring and I hadn't thought to it that way. Thanks all smile

insancerre Wed 05-Apr-17 12:18:47

Very normal
I collate and analyse every single accident form in my nursery to look for patterns and areas that may need more supervision or re arranging
I know which children are having accidents at what time if the day and which staff were supervising

welshweasel Wed 05-Apr-17 12:22:02

Yes, totally normal. I've got a 14mo and get at least one accident form a week at the moment as he thinks he's better at walking than he is. He also got bitten for the first time last week, again par for the course in nursery. The staff are always very apologetic and provide appropriate first aid/cuddles.

FineAsWeAre Mon 10-Apr-17 11:45:08

Yes, not pleasant but completely normal. I would only be worried if they were very unusual injuries or couldn't be explained. My son constantly has grazed knees/elbows/hands and new bruises nearly every day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now