Talk

Advanced search

Do I understand the 30 hours fundoing correctly?

(13 Posts)
WhyTheHeckMe Sun 02-Apr-17 12:48:57

Trying to work out if we can ever afford another child!
When ds turns 3 it'll have gone up to 30 hours funded childcare.
He is 3 in the January so he won't be entitled until the April is that right?

Also he currently goes to nursery 30 hours a week, so does this mean if I keep him to this I'll be charged as follows-

£40 per day x 3 days

Which is £120 x 14 weeks a year (as 38 weeks only are entitled to the funded)

Then divide this figure by 12 months the so childcare will cost me £140

Is that about right or have I got this totally wrong?

Ps. The £40 is just a rounded figure, I pay £43.50 a day and I know this goes up annually

HSMMaCM Sun 02-Apr-17 16:23:35

It depends when they offer the funding. For example if he goes 8-6 mon-wed, but they might offer funding 10-4, 5 days a week, which means you have to pay for the extra time. You may also have to pay for meals, activities, etc. You'd have to ask the nursery. Also ... they might not be offering the 30 hours, as its chronically underfunded

insancerre Tue 04-Apr-17 06:19:53

It totally depends on how the nursery works it out
For example on your figures your monthly bill would be £173 a month at my nursery
Because we stretch the funding over the whole year the normal 15 hours would mean one day a week free so the 30 would mean 2 days
40x52 divided by 12 = £173

And yes it's from the term after they are 3
However, lots of nurseries are not offering the 30 hours as it is woefully underfunded

moggle Tue 04-Apr-17 15:31:31

Our nursery is offering the 30 hours but they don't spread it over the year, so at our nursery you would pay nothing for the 38 funded weeks and the full cost £120 a week for the 14 weeks of holidays.

You really need to ask them - although they probably won't have fully decided yet how they'll implement it. Ours currently are saying they will implement it the same way they currently do the 15 hours but they are pretty generous so I am expecting them to change nearer the time. If they continue to do it the same way we will get our current 3 days 8am-6pm totally free; no extra charges and no time limits on the funded sessions. So I just can't see that they could afford that, but we'll see.

hibbledobble Tue 04-Apr-17 22:34:54

Many nurseries are planning not to offer the 30 hours funding, or increasing their fees/restricting how the 30 free hours will work. You can't make any assumptions at this point.

shesnotme Tue 04-Apr-17 22:42:13

Nursery ds goes to only knocks a bit off bill. So for 16.5 hours year round, it costs £200

shesnotme Tue 04-Apr-17 22:42:22

A month

BumWad Tue 04-Apr-17 22:45:23

Bollocks - I didn't know it was the term After they turn 3. My DS turns 3 next May - does that mean I won't get the free 30 hours until the following September? That's fucking shit.

(My nursery will definitely be providing the 30 free hours term time only)

BackforGood Tue 04-Apr-17 22:54:22

Agree with everyone else. This is all new. It's underfunded (particularly ridiculously so if the child has additional needs) and Nurseries up and down the country are trying to work out how they can make their books balance. You would have to ask you particular nursery what they are planning to do, but they may well not know yet, and even if they have a plan for now, it might have to change once it starts to bed in.
I certainly don't think you can do any family planning around it at the moment. There might not be enough nursery places offing it in your area even.

NeverTwerkNaked Tue 04-Apr-17 22:57:13

I think most nurseries will have to find ways to charge extra, or they simply won't be viable.
I don't want my daughters nursery having to cut corners!

moggle Wed 05-Apr-17 09:18:23

BumWad it doesn't seem fair, but then they wouldn't get the free hours over the summer hols anyway so it's not like you're financially disadvantaged compared to say an october born.
I've found ours isn't offering it to people who currently ONLY take the 15 free hours for their 3+ year olds. You have to be paying for some sessions currently. I'm not clear on how it affects people who pay for less than 30 hours currently for an under-3 year old, what will happen to them. I'll happily pay some extra. The thought of having even a small reduction in childcare costs is already making me giddy!

CaveMum Wed 05-Apr-17 09:27:52

Our nursery applies the funding to a whole day so currently for the 15 hours you get 1.5 days funded as the nursery is open for 10 hours a day. On the funded days you still have to pay for lunch and tea club (about £7 for both).

Funding only applies during term time for us and DD does 3 full days a week while I'm at work (though just started mat leave for DC2). It doesn't mean we will see our bill halved (funding kicks in after the Easter break as she turned 3 last month) though as when you add in the meals we have to pay for, plus the fact that paying a half day is proportionally more expensive than a full day (£47 full day or £26 half day), I think it will equate to knocking about a third off our monthly bill.

I won't know for sure until the next invoice arrives!

insancerre Wed 05-Apr-17 12:09:30

Bumwad
Yes you are right
Your child will get the funding from September

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now